MPH Decision: USC vs San Diego State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2BeDentist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys, I'm having a tough time deciding between the two.

USC has the name and is better recognized in California, where I plan to stay and work.

SDSU has much cheaper tuition. But I'm not from SD and USC is much closer to my place. So moving to SD might equal the amount I'd pay for USC (if I go there).

Both programs are accreddited though.

What do you think I should do?

Members don't see this ad.

Guys, I'm having a tough time deciding between the two.

USC has the name and is better recognized in California, where I plan to stay and work.

SDSU has much cheaper tuition. But I'm not from SD and USC is much closer to my place. So moving to SD might equal the amount I'd pay for USC (if I go there).

Both programs are accreddited though.

What do you think I should do?
if u plan on being a dentist (as ur name implies) go with usc, the name will be more recognized when u apply...

ive already accepted admission there for this fall and talked to a graduate advisor on campus... if you wanna know more about the program u should setup an appointment (its easy and very laid back) or ask me

bc im planning on med school in the future, i had a hard time deciding too

(hint- if u work as usc staff, they excuse 4 graduate units a semester...they have an online database to search for jobs around campus, check it out!)

good luck!

Thanks dude! Actually don't go by my screen name.... I had initially planned to go to dental school when I joined, but that's no longer the plan. Now I just want to finish my MPH and concentrate on PH for the rest of my life. :cool:

So anyway, congrats on your acceptance btw. I think I'll go with USC too because living in SD seems out there, plus I want to stay at home. Graduate tuition is expensive as it is, I can't add more to that with living and food expenses.

One thing I want to know is - is it true that public health graduate courses are NOT offered @ USC's main campus in Downtown? But in their Alhambra campus?

Oh sweet about them waiving 4 unit courses if you work... I plan to work part-time anyway and hopefully in a public health related research or field.

Thanks once again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks dude! Actually don't go by my screen name.... I had initially planned to go to dental school when I joined, but that's no longer the plan. Now I just want to finish my MPH and concentrate on PH for the rest of my life. :cool:

So anyway, congrats on your acceptance btw. I think I'll go with USC too because living in SD seems out there, plus I want to stay at home. Graduate tuition is expensive as it is, I can't add more to that with living and food expenses.

One thing I want to know is - is it true that public health graduate courses are NOT offered @ USC's main campus in Downtown? But in their Alhambra campus?

Oh sweet about them waiving 4 unit courses if you work... I plan to work part-time anyway and hopefully in a public health related research or field.

Thanks once again.
it depends on what track u wanna go into but generally ur'll be at the alhambra or the university park campus; none are at the downtown campus for MPH students

also, if ur worried about what track u wanna do, the grad advisor i talked to said many students end up switching during the first year and its really no hassle...

if u goto usc ill prolly see in class haha

isn't sdsu accredited and usc not by ceph? or something like that...