MPH-Epi vs MS Biostats: most job opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thank you in advance for reading this post! I am having a hard time researching which masters program is in higher demand--MPH-Epi or MS Biostatistics. I do not come from a health care background, thus, my worst fear is earning a masters degree and still unable to find work.

Some posts that almost answer my question, but not quite:

1) It depends on what kind of epidemiology/biostatistics job you want to purue: I understand this response, and certainly do have specific goals that I can share, but my short-term goals only want to get my foot in the door for health care. I am looking for a career that pays at least $35,000/year. After I get my foot in the door and am earning some money, I can easily gain experience and transfer into a position that is better suited for my interests.

2) Jobs x, y and z are growing by 26%: while growth rate is informing, it is not the all-encompassing likelihood of a high-demand position. What is the number of positions available? Hypothetically speaking, if the state of California only had 1 epidemiologist position available and now has 20, the growth rate is 200%. It is still highly unrealistic to pursue an epidemiology career.

Thank you again! I did not go into more detail because I do not want to make this post too long for users to read. If you want to know more specifics, I will be happy to share.

Members don't see this ad.

A biostats degree would generally lead you towards more pure biostatistician jobs - e.g. in industry/private sector or in academia in a support role for multiple researchers. An Epi degree may be more suitable for working in public health - e.g. health agencies, non-profits - or also for research in academia at a support level.

Excellent, thank you for your answer. Epi definitely suits my interests moreso than Biostats.