MPH for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MRa2z

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone. i'm currently exploring masters degree options for the track of going to medical school the year after. I know that there are SMP programs available for student wishing to apply to med school - but i know little about MPH degrees. I've heard its more of an administrative type degree - but is it helpful in applying to medical school?
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

hey everyone. i'm currently exploring masters degree options for the track of going to medical school the year after. I know that there are SMP programs available for student wishing to apply to med school - but i know little about MPH degrees. I've heard its more of an administrative type degree - but is it helpful in applying to medical school?
thanks!

Hello, a number of people here have done what you are considering, and they can give
good advice about the process and how they felt the MPH helped or hindered them.

Keep in mind:

- MPH programs vary quite a bit in scope, from business tracks (e.g. health care administration) to social science tracks to bench science tracks. In most programs you'll get a taste of everything, but often you choose a department or a focus. It would help you a lot to check out some websites and get a feel for the range of programs offered by different schools, and which ones might interest you.

- If you're coming straight from undergrad, some of the 1-year MPH programs probably won't accept you, since they usually require full-time work experience/med school/etc. first. There are a few 1-year programs that do take students straight from undergrad, though, and if you search this board, you'll find some discussions of these programs.

- Some MPH schools are wary of taking people whose primary goal is to look good for med school in the absence of a strong interest in public health, and similarly, med schools can probably figure it out as well. Post-bac programs and part-time science coursework at a local college may serve you better if this is your major goal. However, if you are interested in using the public health training in your medical career, it can be a good option. (If that's your plan, though, some would recommend waiting until you're already in med school before applying to MPH programs, as it opens up a lot of possibilities and is often easier to subsidize.)

Hope this helps a little.

The MPH can be very helpful. But as the last responder said, people can figure out if you're doing it just to get into med school. I got my MPH before going to med school; feel free to ask any questions you have, either here or by PM.

I'm in between my 3rd and 4th of med school, currently getting an MPH. My advice would be, if you are really interested in public health, to get the degree during or after med school. Med school can change your perspective a lot on what you are interested in in public health and public health is an exceptionally broad field so it's helpful to have some direction before you start, particularly if you only have 1 year to do it. However, if you don't really have any interest in public health, then I would say spend your year doing something more relevant to medicine. That will support your medical school application a lot more than going to grad school to get into med school.