MPH grad, need advice for DPT schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VinVin84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, In another week I will have completed my Masters for Health Policy Management from CUNY Hunter (GPA 3.3 or 3.2). However, I still have a passion for physical therapy and would love to pursue my DPT afterwards.(Both of my parents are physicians, so I grew up with medicine, and I have quite a bit of volunteer work and experience under my belt). Also, I've been working doing bio-medical research for a dialysis unit affiliated with NYU.

I graduated from SUNY Albany in 06 as a Human Biology major (my GPA was a 3.0),I have a good amount of my pre-requisite courses done though:

Human phys I+Lab=B
Gen Bio II+Lab=B
Bio-Stats (at a graduate level)=A-
Gen Psych=A-
Psych Elective=A-
English=B-
Upper Division Courses, (at a graduate Level)=B+

I did horrible with my chem and physics as an undergrad so I'm going to go back and knock out Chem I +II and Physics I+II (my goal, while it obviously won't be easy would be to get A's in those classes to pull up my science GPA). Also my GRE's weren't the greatest when I initially took them in 07 (880)

This is the catch though, my dreams school that i'm super set on going to is SUNY Downstate, they wave the GRE requirement for me b/c I have my Masters.

My question is, what do you think my standing would be as an applicat for there program? I know I need to have more backup schools as well so if there any suggestions for any other DPT schools that anyone could suggest I'd GREATLY appreciate it.

:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well your GPA is a bit on the low side and your GRE score is quite below average in my opinion. However, you have several things on your side. First, you attended SUNY for your undergrad and grad. If you could get some nice referrences I would say your set. I don't know how competetive SUNY's program is, so I can't assume too much; I can only really guess. Also you have a Masters in Public Health. That masters degree really gives you an upper hand and proves that you can, potentially, bring some variety into a PT program. Obviously I don't think getting a bachelors, MPH, then a DPT is very efficient, but no one can 100% predict their future either. I think you have a very good shot with SUNY and even other schools if you just study and retake the GRE plus some of those classes you were mentioning. Maybe you would only have to retake two instead of all four? I'm not sure if you would have to retake all those courses; with the exception of Physics 1 (application to biomechanics) everything is borderline worthless. I think your MPH may give you the ability to avoid taking all four. In addition, you could set yourself up for applying to schools in the Spring of 11' and be in by fall.

THanks for your input, it was greatly appreciated. to answer some of your questions:
"I don't know how competetive SUNY's program is, so I can't assume too much"... for the SUNY downstate DPT program, they say about 200 apply and only 25 are taken accepted( hence why i'm freaking out) :(

"Maybe you would only have to retake two instead of all four? I'm not sure if you would have to retake all those courses; with the exception of Physics 1 (application to biomechanics) everything is borderline worthless"
I actually went to an information session, what was indicated to me was that i should get my pre-requisites higher.
"I think your MPH may give you the ability to avoid taking all four"
My masters in Public Health was a focus within health policy management, so there was 0 focus on any science work really.

In addition, you could set yourself up for applying to schools in the Spring of 11' and be in by fall. What school would you suggest?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Vin, I'm not sure which schools you should apply to because I don't know anything about the area you live in. Basically, I think you should apply anywhere (within reason) and everywhere you can. I would hope for an instate public institution to make debt a lot less severe, but I would apply to private schools just in case. You are right that the MPH isn't "science" specific. However, it is still a masters and it is related to health care! I'm telling you that if you had an MBA and your gpa with lower than an undergrad you would probably be accepted over an undergrad (depends on the difference in gpa/gre, letters of rec, interview of course). Further education does prove that you are motivated, like (hopefully love) to learn and etc. I know they said you need to pull your prereqs up but that doesn't mean you have to make them all 4.0s. Use an online gpa calculator and try to figure out how much your gpa would change by just retaking one or two; your masters will cushion you slightly (if you doubt me, call up different PT departments around the nation and ask them if your MPH will give you better favor). Many PT departments are glad to answer any hypotheticals or questions for you. If you want PT then take it by the horns and make it happen. Have more confidence with your MPH too, it's not a piss-on-me degree. I'm surprised others aren't commenting on this thread... come on people?

Hey Vin, I'm not sure which schools you should apply to because I don't know anything about the area you live in. Basically, I think you should apply anywhere (within reason) and everywhere you can. I would hope for an instate public institution to make debt a lot less severe, but I would apply to private schools just in case. You are right that the MPH isn't "science" specific. However, it is still a masters and it is related to health care! I'm telling you that if you had an MBA and your gpa with lower than an undergrad you would probably be accepted over an undergrad (depends on the difference in gpa/gre, letters of rec, interview of course). Further education does prove that you are motivated, like (hopefully love) to learn and etc. I know they said you need to pull your prereqs up but that doesn't mean you have to make them all 4.0s. Use an online gpa calculator and try to figure out how much your gpa would change by just retaking one or two; your masters will cushion you slightly (if you doubt me, call up different PT departments around the nation and ask them if your MPH will give you better favor). Many PT departments are glad to answer any hypotheticals or questions for you. If you want PT then take it by the horns and make it happen. Have more confidence with your MPH too, it's not a piss-on-me degree. I'm surprised others aren't commenting on this thread... come on people?

I just wanted to thank you so much for your encouragement, I finished my first semester at a community college taking A+P I with its Lab and Chem I with its Lab and received a A in A+P I and an A- in Chem I. :) I'll be continuing to take A+P II and Chem II this following semester. I hope I can still stick with it and do a repeat! Thanks again so so much!