MPH in Epidemiology -- Part time or full time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alby_budz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm finishing applications to start my MPH in Epidemiology beginning next Fall. I initially was thinking that I'd go to school part-time while working, and hopefully finish my degree in 3ish years. I'm now starting to think that maybe it'd be worth it to be a full-time student and finish my degree ASAP so I can begin my career ASAP. One of my biggest concerns are finances, I'd like to not be totally broke while in school as I was a broke Peace Corps Volunteer the past 3 years. I'd love to work full time & go to school full time, but don't know how realistic it is to find a full time job that will work with my school schedule.

Does anyone have any advice or opinions regarding this? I'd love to hear any & all input.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on where you are looking at going. Because an MPH is a professional degree, a lot of the programs cater to working professionals (i.e. offer night classes/classes once a week). However, it would really be up to you as to whether or not working and going to school full time is a viable option for you. That is a very large commitment. You also have to keep in mind that most programs require you to complete a practicum. I'm not sure if your full-time work will count (depending on where you work) or allow you to put in the time to complete that portion of the degree.

True, I hadn't thought about the practicum. I'm also currently job searching, so it's a lot of unknowns that I'm playing with in my head. Thanks for the input.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I'm finishing applications to start my MPH in Epidemiology beginning next Fall. I initially was thinking that I'd go to school part-time while working, and hopefully finish my degree in 3ish years. I'm now starting to think that maybe it'd be worth it to be a full-time student and finish my degree ASAP so I can begin my career ASAP. One of my biggest concerns are finances, I'd like to not be totally broke while in school as I was a broke Peace Corps Volunteer the past 3 years. I'd love to work full time & go to school full time, but don't know how realistic it is to find a full time job that will work with my school schedule.

Does anyone have any advice or opinions regarding this? I'd love to hear any & all input.

Thanks!

I'm struggling with that exact same issue. On one hand, I have a good job with good benefits. Plus monies. The job is not in any way related to public health, however. I would certainly be limited in the type of research/fellowships/internships I could do, which I believe will leave me with a MPH but no practical experience. Also not good.

I'm struggling with that exact same issue. On one hand, I have a good job with good benefits. Plus monies. The job is not in any way related to public health, however. I would certainly be limited in the type of research/fellowships/internships I could do, which I believe will leave me with a MPH but no practical experience. Also not good.

Yeah, I currently have a not-so-great paying part time job totally unrelated to public health, so I'm looking for something more related.. but thinking maybe it's worth it to stick it out with this job because if i get a different one, they might not be willing to work with a school schedule? I have a friend who is in her first year of her MPH program and said once you start, it's easy to get a lot of "ins" for jobs/internships in the field. I'm not sure if it's better/advantageous to wait to see what comes up next year or not.

Yeah, I currently have a not-so-great paying part time job totally unrelated to public health, so I'm looking for something more related.. but thinking maybe it's worth it to stick it out with this job because if i get a different one, they might not be willing to work with a school schedule? I have a friend who is in her first year of her MPH program and said once you start, it's easy to get a lot of "ins" for jobs/internships in the field. I'm not sure if it's better/advantageous to wait to see what comes up next year or not.

I don't think you should have too much of an issue finding one once you begin your MPH. But if you can find one for now that pays better than your current job, go for it. It never hurts to have a little bit of extra money (help with deposit, moving expenses, etc.).