MPH is it hard to get in?

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by bashaut, Apr 26, 2007.

1. bashaut

bashaut Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hi,

I am still an undergraduate. I will be graduating next year with a BA in biochemistry. I was wondering how hard is it to get in an MPH program without any experience. Which schools are easier to get in? When should I start applying?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. aupz23

7+ Year Member

:)

Make sure you do well in your classes, study for the GRE, research the schools you want to go to, and research the public health field, along with the specialities of where you would like to be in public health

4. aupz23

7+ Year Member

If I were you, I would start applying as soon as possible, you could start in August....You could try to get a mini-internship, part-time job, or volunteering experience this summer (this way, you could meet more references and possiblly strengthen your career goal statement/essay for your application about how you came about being interested in public health, etc....) Public Health has different parts too, I think (ex: policy, epidemiology, government, management, you might want to research it)

When it comes to public health, I hear that Saint Louis University (SLU), Emory University in Atlanta, and George Washington University in DC are pretty good....University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) is also an excellent school for public health

5. aupz23

7+ Year Member

University of Washington in Seattle, UCLA, and UC Berkley are good too, or so I've heard

:)

6. swim2006

swim2006 Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If your grades are good and your gre score is above the 50% then numbers wise you have at chance at many schools. The one thing that seems to stand out with publi health programs is that they want to hear that you are committed and interested in it. I got into the only school I applied too as an MPH with only class that was in the public health relem. I had done research but not in public health and had no other experience but I was interessted in learning and applying it to my career path.

7. PanchoSuave

PanchoSuave Rad Member

I also have a question about experience. I have volunteered for two years at a crisis intervention center, serving for about a year as the medical advocacy coordinator (we respond to sexual assault cases at the hospital). While I see this as an important part of community health, I'm not sure it fits into what a public health school might look for. Thoughts?