MPH just in case no acceptance??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FIREitUP

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i know its late in the cycle but would it look really bad if I apply to the a school for MPH if I was waitlisted at that school? I really want to make sure I will be occupied doing something next year. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, i know its late in the cycle but would it look really bad if I apply to the a school for MPH if I was waitlisted at that school? I really want to make sure I will be occupied doing something next year. Any and all help would be appreciated.

I would not apply for or start the MPH if you plan on reapplying next year. Schools tend to frown upon unfinished graduate degrees. This is not to say you cannot be accepted without finishing, but your application will not be improved whatsoever by starting the MPH. If you start a traditional 45 hour MPH program with a practicum or thesis requirement, it is going to take you longer than a year to finish. In combined degree programs you can do it in a year, but I am not aware of any other way. I would just work on improving your application for the next cycle, unless you really want a public health degree. This is just my perspective.

i see, thank you for your input. I'm just having difficulty securing employment for next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
getting a degree you don't want just to pass time is a waste of time and money. if you can't get a job, keep looking.

marshds is right about what he said as well.

whats a Miles Per Hour program:)?

An MPH is 2 year degree and it won't really help bolster your application unless you have a specific interest in public health. If you got waitlisted bcause of a low GPA, I would suggest a 1 year SMP instead of an MPH - that'll vastly impriove your chances (as long as you do well in it) and you can reapply right away.

I'd say a year of working experience would be a lot more helpful, if you are thinking that an MPH would boost up your chances. Unless you like doing an MPH and don't mind spending a lot of $$.

nope i got good numbers 3.8, 33. But, I am anthro major, so my job prospects are limited (plus I hurt my back so EMT is kind of out of the question).

I loved my MPH program and I'm extremely glad I did it before going into my MD program. That said, if you're not interested in doing a MPH for the sake of the MPH, it's not worth it. If you want to use your MPH while being a physician you have to work at it and for many people it will just end up being a degree you let lapse.

Though, if you like public health it's great!