MPH/MS done part-time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rwk66

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all - I just have a few general questions. Is it possible to do a MPH or MS in public health part-time while working full-time(I'm sure this varies by school, but in general is this a possibility)? I work in computers, not the healthcare field. Without a healthcare background - am I limited to pursuing the MS in public health, or is the MPH a possibility too? Finally, without a healthcare background, do I have a chance of getting admissions to a MPH or MS epidemieology program, or is that very difficult? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Most public health programs seem to anticipate their students actually working: mainly evening classes, up to 5 years to finish a degree, etc.

You'll have to look at each particular school. Some may restrict their MSc program to people with advanced (i.e. doctoral) degrees. Some may do the same for the MPH (for example Harvard lists a doctoral degree as a pre-requisite for their MPH program).

If you have a good reason for wanting to study public health you'll have a decent shot it seems. It should likely be more than "I want to get into med school." They tend to not look favorably upon that since there actually is value in public health skills. It's a lot easier to get admitted as an internal candidate, that is working in some capacity with/for the university.

Great, thanks for the info. I actually applied to med school for next year, but have been having second thoughts. I currently work for a university that has a school of public health, and quite honestly I like my job/the pay isn't so bad. I am thinking doing the MPH part-time would allow me to keep my job and yet pursue graduate schooling in the health sciences. I like the health sciences in general, and when I decided to pursue this field, med school seemed like the best option. But various changes in my life/thinking have got me to realizing that perhaps it isn't. The MPH may actually be a better fit. Specifically I'm really keen on epidemiology. Thanks again for all of the info!