SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

MPH or Just apply for M.D.?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by pr0foundbsguy, Mar 28, 2007.

1. pr0foundbsguy

pr0foundbsguy 2+ Year Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Hey guys,
    So I'm contemplating over whether I should take the time to get an MPH and then apply or should I just take the MCAT's this summer and apply for a M.D. ?

Accomplishments:
    -Graduating from UCI in Spring 2007
    -Major: Developmental and Cell Biology
    -Minor: Chicano Latino Studies
    -GPA: 3.53
    -Taking GRE's in April: Verbal Diag: 450-500 Quantitative Diag: 550-650
    -Haven't taken MCAT's yet
    -President of Alpha Epsilon Delta (Pre-med Honor Society)
    -Director of Volunteers (National Melanoma Awareness Project)
    -Golden Key Honor Society Inductee
    -Research HSV-1 (received 2 grants, presented at symposium, will be receiving excellence in research next quarter and publication; possibly 2 other publications in science journals by end of summer)
    -Great Letters of Recs from P.I., Founder of Melanoma Project, and a so-so letter from an Environmental Justice Professor.
    -Coach for Sports Company and helped write grant for AAF to fund an afterschool anti-obesity sports program
    -Worked on Asbestos Project (Mock proposal to EPA--got featured in the OC Register)
    -Volunteer at Hospital
    -Will be volunteering as Big Bro starting next month
    -Hobbies: Running (ran during all of high school, doing my first relay marathon this summer, ran lots of 5k charity events)

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. baylormed

baylormed On the Search 5+ Year Member

Dec 4, 2005
    Right behind you
    We can't usually tell you much without a science GPA and an MCAT score. Those are the first two factors people would want to know, since your EC's seem okay.

Since you minored in Chicano Latino Studies (which sounds ridiculously funny to me), I'm assuming you MIGHT be Mexican American (I prefer this term). That's another thing to consider.

What state are you applying in?

4. Jack Daniel

Jack Daniel In Memory of Riley Jane Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Oct 12, 2005
    I don't know where you're applying, but some med schools offer value-added MPH degrees, which you might be able to earn cheaper and faster as a med student than going through an MPH program as a grad student.

If you're hell bent on earning another degree, I'd suggest a MS in biomedical sciences. Then you could possibly transfer in some coursework and make your first year in med school a little easier.

5. patrickd223

patrickd223 5+ Year Member

Nov 25, 2006
    It seems like you have stellar ECs and a good GPA. You should have a shot at MD if you do 28+ on the MCATS.

6. Mr. Tee

Mr. Tee Indentured servant 7+ Year Member

Nov 24, 2005
  7. pr0foundbsguy

Mar 28, 2007
    /

8. baylormed

Dec 4, 2005
    Right behind you
    I'm sorry, I don't speak that language. What does that mean?

9. Critical Mass

Critical Mass Guest

Feb 23, 2007
    My Master's (Microbiology, Cell, and Molecular Biology) wasn't helpful, at least not nearly enough to merit the debt that I went into to cover the cost. Plus you'll have to get permission from your program to apply to med school in the middle of it. In some scientific environments, that might cause discomfort.

I would, however, recommend it if you are interested in MD/PhD studies; but your numbers and interest in academic research had better be top-notch.

As for the MPH, do it if you have a genuine interest in public health.

Don't do either thinking that it's going to help you get into medical school, help you with medical school material, or decrease med school costs. There is no way that my med school would consider giving me a tuition cut for having had some of the material before. Most curricula are at least integrated enough to keep you from being able to take or transfer courses piecemeal. It's part of their accreditation to ensure that all students are exposed to all potential board material.

10. baylormed

Dec 4, 2005
    Right behind you
    Critical Mass...you are cool just because you got into Durmstrang. :p So, are we finally going to find out where it is?? (we promise not to tell on you).

11. pr0foundbsguy

Mar 28, 2007
    In response to Baylor Med:

BCPM GPA: 3.45, MCAT: Yea...haven't taken them yet..

I'm actually not Mexican American, I'm Indian (as in South Asian) and I don't see the humor in being open minded and wanting to learn about another culture (considering that there's a great need for changes in medical care to accomodate the mexican immigrant population). Sorry, didn't mean to get defensive, you just came off as being a bit arrogant.

I have residency in California, but I plan on applying all over the country

12. Critical Mass

Critical Mass Guest

Feb 23, 2007
    Well HSWW wouldn't take me after I let some blast-ended screwts go in the swimming pool. I also didn't do that well on my N.E.W.T.s

The location of Durmstrang is a secret, but I think that I may have told you where I am before I became Critical Mass. Send me a PM if I accidentally left you out of the loop after my transfiguration. You're on my buddy list fo sho.

13. baylormed

Dec 4, 2005
    Right behind you
    It wasn't supposed to be offensive, I find it funny because I am Mexican-American and I have been too disappointed in the ability of anyone (let alone non-natives of the country in question) to teach the true essence and culture of that specific group of the population (which is more diverse than some people think it is, given our mixed heritage).

I think the GPA for a Californian might be a little lower than desirable, but it's still not too bad by any means. Your EC's sound great.

I would aim for a very high MCAT to ensure that you get good interviews in CA and out of state, and hopefully an acceptance out of those.

14. JohnMadden

JohnMadden Political Refugee 2+ Year Member

Jan 11, 2007
    I think that's a terrible assumption. Can't someone be interested in studies that are related to an ethnic group that's not their own?

15. baylormed

Dec 4, 2005
    Right behind you
    Of course they can, but it's been my experience that they are a small minority. Chances were he was (I now know that he isn't, which I find great!).

Do you know all those campus-wide events done by the Asian/African/Latino/Indian groups at college, where they encourage everyone to attend so they can learn about another culture??? Well, I've been to many, and by rule ~95% of attendees are members of the said cultural group. Like I said, it was just an assumption based on numbers (also, notice how I capitalized MIGHT because I knew it wasn't necessarily true).

16. sheepunite

sheepunite Member 5+ Year Member

Oct 17, 2005
    if you know you want both, go for the md/mph and save a considerable amount of money. i was an idiot.

17. Vvandenn

Vvandenn Member 2+ Year Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Why is 'Mexican' an avoided status?

18. baylormed

Dec 4, 2005
    Right behind you
    Mainly, negative connotations. Of course, that's just me, I have no problem saying it in any other country, though.

In the US I sometimes just say Hispanic and leave it at that.

19. sheepunite

sheepunite Member 5+ Year Member

Oct 17, 2005
    wow.
    i'm reminded of a classmate who once tried to argue with me that 'mexican' was a derogatory term.
    around the wide world, 'american' is the primary ascription to be avoided.

20. baylormed

Dec 4, 2005
    Right behind you
    It is not a derogatory term (or it shouldn't be), but sometimes it's thrown around in a way and tone that suggest that the speaker is using it as such.
    I've heard it many times, and I hate it because, it's a freaking nationality, not an insult. Too bad that it's come to be seen as one.

And yes, American in the rest of the world can get you into trouble as well (it reminds me of a Simpson's episode when Lisa pretends to be Canadian in a trip to Europe..or something like that).

21. swooptheeagle

swooptheeagle 2+ Year Member

Oct 23, 2006

Yeah, I agree- it's definitely not derogatory, just mostly a result of ignorance. As baylor mentioned above, "mexican" has become all too over-encompassing. Hispanic should be the correct term because there are just WAY too many different Spanish-speaking cultures in the world. But of course, incorrectly and sadly, mexican has become synonymous with Hispanic. Latino is even technically wrong too or not specific enough if you are trying to refer to a Hispanic person because latino refers even more broadly to the cultures that speak the 5 latin-based languages.

ANYWAY, back to the OP's original question. It really depends on why you're wanting to take time off and get a MPH. Please, if you're not truly interested in public health, don't go get a MPH. There are plenty of other things you could do if you're not wanting to go to med school immediately.

22. Boris Badenov

Boris Badenov Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 17, 2005
    I've never heard Latino being used to describe anything outside the realm of Spanish-speaking culture. In fact, I'm 100% sure you can't apply it to other cultures.

I don't know why, but for some reason over the past couple of years, I've completely erased Hispanic from my vernacular and replaced it with Latino. Someone tell me if this is good.

23. baylormed

Dec 4, 2005
    Right behind you
    I prefer Hispanic. It might be just a personal preference, but I find it carries less connotations with it.

24. AtreyuRocks

AtreyuRocks 7+ Year Member

Mar 3, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Why is everyone at UCI so obsessed with MPH? I know too many UCI alums who contemplated this MPH, MD route. (You've probably figured out who I am by now.) Anyways, as others have previously stated-- in general terms, your GPA is fine and no one can tell you much else until you get that MCAT and breakdown.

Do you want to stay in CA? If you want to stay in CA, it wouldn't be a bad idea to go for the MPH and increase your GPA. If so, I would take the MCAT before you matriculate. More time, info fresh in mind, ducks in a row, etc.

You don't care where you want to go? Then apply once you get that MCAT, and pick something to do for your year while applying (something flexible like continuing to work with your PI so you can interview and what not).

You really want to do an MPH for community health? Can you speak spanish? UCI has PRIME-LC (yet to graduate any students since the program is new).

Those are my thoughts. PM me if you need more advice from a UCI alum. You have a lot of UCI/AED alum floating around on here. Some who did MPH, find them! Best of luck with your decisions :luck:

EDIT: OP, your GPA and BCPM are eerily close to mine, albeit reversed.