MPH or MS Global Health?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

signoraspaghetti

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted into UCSF's MS in Global Health and also UC Davis' MPH program. My goal is to eventually get my PhD in my field (nutrition) with the goal of conducting research internationally. I love UCSF's program, but the $42,500 in student loans is daunting. I hope to eventually get my PhD from UC Davis in Nutritional Biology. Davis does not have a top ranked MPH program, but it would help me get my foot in the door with the doctoral program and I have room to choose international nutrition electives. Davis' tuition will most likely be waived because I can teach undergraduate classes, and I will receive a small monthly stipend. I'm so torn because I feel that UCSF would provide excellent GH training, but the nearly $50,000 (I would have to pay for my own trip to my international site on top of tuition, no funding) in loans is pretty steep when I plan to continue on and focus on international nutrition with my PhD. On the other hand, it would help me get some research/project experience under my belt in an international setting and may make me a stronger applicant for said Phd program.

Bottomline: Will UCSF provide more opportunities/open more doors in Global Health? Is the UCSF Global Health name worth the loans? Or will doing a FREE MPH that isn't focused on global health but may have some opportunity to make connections I'll need for my PhD be a better idea overall?

Members don't see this ad.

If it matters to you, no one really cares where you get your MA/MS if you have a PhD. Stipends are common to lure applicants to non-prestige programs, but UCSF is expanding its graduate programs to rake in the dough and cash in on the name. Unsure of what you want to do as a job, but I'd go with whatever program will prepare you with quantitative skills. That will prepare you for international nutrition more than a short trip internationally.

Reactions: 1 user
If it matters to you, no one really cares where you get your MA/MS if you have a PhD. Stipends are common to lure applicants to non-prestige programs, but UCSF is expanding its graduate programs to rake in the dough and cash in on the name. Unsure of what you want to do as a job, but I'd go with whatever program will prepare you with quantitative skills. That will prepare you for international nutrition more than a short trip internationally.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I'm leaning more towards Davis. It's an MPH, I can tailor my electives to be nutrition-specific, and my bank account will be happier. I also didn't think about the fact that no one cares about a MS after the PhD. No one puts "Jane Smith, PhD, MS." That would be a bit odd. Thanks again!