MPH or SMP or Research?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bunnie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have applied to med schools this year and haven't had much luck (one interview). I graduated from a good school w/a decent gpa (3.7) and have been doing research for 2+ years now. I think my low mcat score is the problem. First score = 33 and Second score = 30. :(

I am already thinking about reapplying and am not sure what I should during my additional gap year. Should i continue to work at my current research position? Should I do this half-time and take additional classes on the side? Should I pursue an MPH or an SMP? I really want to take classes and be in the school mode btw.

I am definitely going to be retaking my mcats and will try to get a 33+.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I have applied to med schools this year and haven't had much luck (one interview). I graduated from a good school w/a decent gpa (3.7) and have been doing research for 2+ years now. I think my low mcat score is the problem. First score = 33 and Second score = 30. :(

I am already thinking about reapplying and am not sure what I should during my additional gap year. Should i continue to work at my current research position? Should I do this half-time and take additional classes on the side? Should I pursue an MPH or an SMP? I really want to take classes and be in the school mode btw.

Retaking MCAT is always a risky adventure!!! after ur 33 idk why you ventured and took a second one and there is no guarantee that a third one would be 33+ even if it is to me it wouldnt look impressive. An MPH or SMP is definitely good. Your GPA is not bad at all so you should be doing this just cuz you want to be in school. But u have not been rejected from the place u interviewed so :xf: for the acceptance.

Good luck.

Hello,

Don't retake the MCAT unless you feel you will get a 36.

Your research is fine. 2+ years is ample. Do you have an publications? Common misconception that premeds have regarding research is that they feel adcoms actually care about the research in and of it self. They think adcoms want to see breakthroughs. Not really the case. Adcoms want to see that their students have developed the analytical skills required of physicians that enables them to pick up a chart, look at some ambiguous numbers and results, analyze them and make conclusions. Research to some degree, shows adcoms that the applicant has developed that skill.

Only get a MPH if you honestly feel like you want to get a MPH. I am not sure how SMPs will treat you because with just the numbers, you are fine. Individuals with similar numbers and average ECs, clinical, research, had around 80% chance of matriculation.

https://www.aamc.org/download/157450/data/table24-mcatgpagridall2008-10.pdf.pdf

Note on that if somebody reads this, is that data allopathic schools alone or osteopathic + allopathic.

There must be something you failed to mention that is holding you back.
What is you science GPA.
Did you have a significant number of W's, D's and/or F's
What do your ECs look like. How much clinical experience.
Do you have a felony of some sort? Black listed from your school after a case of academic dishonesty.
LORs?
Have you been out of school for an extended period of time (some adcoms look down on that as first year is rigid and they don't want to take the chance on individuals who might have lost their study habits).

If all of those things are fine, chances are you didn't apply broadly enough. Where did you apply to.

-Chris

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, what schools did you apply to? This makes all the difference in the world.

You retook a 33? Are you mad? Unless you are trying to get into top 25 only, you shouldn't retake the MCAT, even now. You already gave the adcoms a red flag by retaking and going down on your score. Don't give them anything else to complicate matters. I mean, the second time you took the MCAT you expected to go up, but you went down three points. How do yo think your next application cycle will go if you get below a 33 again? It's very very risky.

Going down on your MCAT gives adcoms so many different ways to interpret you as an applicant. It's not fair, but rest assured that some will think you may have just gotten lucky the first time or they may assume you can't improve when you want to, etc. That's just the way it goes.

As for your year off, do whatever you will enjoy the most. Your GPA is in good shape and it seems like you have decent clinical experiences so far.

A 33 is ~90th percentile...

is 33 really 90% percentile?

Last edited:
Your numbers aren't the problem. Possibly you applied to overly-selective schools for your stats. Maybe you have a weakness in your ECs, even though you have more than enough research. Perhaps one of your LORs wasn't strong or brought up a red flag. And consider also whether your Personal Statement had the wrong tone, if you applied late, or had unbalanced subscores.

During a gap year one should work to beef up any weaker areas in the application, ideally before they reapply.

you need none of those options

your MCAT isn't low, and doesn't need retaking

Catalystik is right, listen up

i agree with what everyone's saying -- it would most likely be an issue of your application strategies-- particularly on the schools you applied to. i have pretty sucky stats (i'm not kidding-- i really do) but have been fortunate so far to have 3 md interviews. (whether i'll get an acceptance is another issue altogether...). a lot of people told me to do an SMP or retake my classes, but i decided to apply this year, and if i had to reapply next year i still wouldn't do an SMP. i personally think there are better things to do with my time that would make me a better physician and a better person overall (and you don't have to be in school-mode for that, but it really depends on the kind of physician you eventually want to be, and what you can do beyond medical school to get there). like what the other poster said, do what you enjoy. :) life is short as it is.

but don't lose hope! good luck!

agreed, agreed, agreed.

Your numbers (what you listed anyway) were fine.

There's a problem in some of the following:
ECs (and how you portrayed them on the AMCAS app)
volunteering
clinical exposure
personal statement
letters of rec
where you applied

I recommend looking through the university of washington admissions website for tips... they give some of the best advice for applicants.

SMP: I don't think this is necessary unless you had poor science grades.
MPH: only if you are really interested in public health
Research: could be great if you are in a good lab and are getting your name on publications. Even better if you can take an occasional science class at the same time. Don't forget to be shadowing/volunteering/doing something that makes you unique with your evenings and weekends.

MCAT: if you are really concerned and think you can do better, take a class. In my opinion they are worth the investment.