MPH/PA or MPH then PA ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MPH prospective

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All :)
I posted a question similar to this recently but I came back for more advice; as my question has changed.

I'm a recent college grad with no science background that is strongly considering pursuing a degree in Global Public Health in the future. While browsing potential programs I discovered a few MPH/PA programs that were also very appealing. ( I used to want to be a doctor but the amount of dedication needed vs my drive dont match up :laugh: ) Hence, the appeal of becoming a PA.

My question is, as a student with no science background what advice would one give, should I pursue the MPH/PA or MPH then PA later ? I sense that the applicants for any MPH/PA program have undergrad degrees in Bio or Chem, which I don't. I feel like my application wont stand out.

I don't mind taking science courses at a local community college while working as a CNA and keeping my internship. I also have access to volunteering and interning abroad ( which I REALLY want to do) Should I take pre MPH course and pre PA courses ?

Currently I'm a CNA in a hospital maternity ward and I also have a public policy research internship with an org that provides, protects and supports pregnant women, infants and young children (I'm interested in Maternal, Child and Reproductive Health).

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated!!! Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Some PA programs are certificate, AS, or BS. Each has different requirements for admission (that is, the number of science courses you would need in order to pursue the degree). If possible, I think the MPH/PA would be the best program since it will crush two masters level degrees into 3 years, but it looks like you have 2+ years of science prereqs to complete before you can think of applying to most of these programs. Also, a lot of schools do not want /count CNA hours to meet their admissions criteria. Look at the schools you are interested in since that will help you decide.

Also, if you don't have the drive for MD, you probably don't have the drive for PA. Its shorter, but not necessarily easier because you are cramming those med school courses into two years rather than 4. You save time, but at many schools you are sitting in the same classes as the medical students.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm fairly certain most PA programs are now all master's level. there may be a few BS programs still, but no certificate or associates. They are extremely competitive and do require upper level science courses as pre-req's, as already mentioned. You don't cram 4 years of med school into 2 years...you take less overall courses than med students and start your rotations earlier. It is a master's level program, not a doctorate, hence the 2yr vs. 4yr. With that being said, you will probably feel like you are in med school for those 2 years with the amount of volume and dedication needed. It is not to be taken lightly.

You have a degree, so you could start the MPH now. But, without any science courses, you are going to need to take all your pre-reqs for PA school. The dual programs, like PA/MPH, are very demanding and even more competitive to get into, due to the academic overload.

I would do some more research if I were you. Go shadow some PA's and perhaps do a public health internship. You may find that one or the other is what you want and not both. If you decide PA, you will need to concentrate on your pre-reqs and do very, very well in order to have a shot at admissions.

Whatever you decide, good luck!!

I'm also fairly certain that there are certificates, associates, and bachelors programs. Also, some programs are 3 years. I looked extensively into this career field as I was trying to decide what direction to take my career change in. Using this simple tool you can see what program levels are offered by which institutions: http://www.paeaonline.org/index.php?ht=d/ContentDir/pid/255

Take a side by side look of a masters program and a medical school program. You do 12-20 months of didactic training similar to the first two years of medical school, and then a year or so of clinicals similar to the last two years of medical school (the rotations are shorter since, in general, the PA is meant to be a GP)

Also, most PA programs have more prereqs than medical school, which is one way they are able to keep the program shorter.

Last edited: