MPH/PUBLIC HEALTH IN GENERAL

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Beccalyn, Jan 25, 2001.

1. Beccalyn

Beccalyn Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I was wondering if any of you that have been accepted have an MPH/MPHd or know of anyone who has..Is there any specific reasons why you chose medicine after working in public health?? any insight would be great=o)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. muffet

muffet New Member

Hi,

I have an MPH,emphasis in Epi, I graduated a few years ago. Currently, I am working in one of the largest HMO company in US. I wanted to get an MPH right after undergrad and it was a good decision for me. I was able to work in a Department of Public for my masters project and with my current job I'm definitely learning about the administration side of healthcare. This is something that not alot of premeds or meds students don't know about.
    In the fall, I'll be a first year medical student. Overall, my MPH was useful, I have a great career in healthcare if I decided to stay, but I know in my heart I wanted to be a doctor. The few years I spend working as a research in a HMO company is definitely a plus for my future career as a physician. I don't know if I answered your question.

4. chelledogg

chelledogg Junior Member

I also have an MPH and am currently working as an epidemiologist. I wasn't sure if this was the correct decision considering the fact that I knew I wanted to be a physician. However, it has been one of the best decisions I've made. I have discovered that my MPH degree will give me many options after medical school such as serving on many committees, teaching, and making policy. Although research isn't my first love, this job has given me the ability to read scientific journal articles and make some sense of them!!...which I believe will be a great asset to my medical career. My only advice to you if you are considering an MPH, is finish the program because when it comes time to do your residency many like to see that you have a 'research' background. I have a friend who did not finish his MPH, and this has come up in his interviews for residency and he is now kicking himself! Its not for everyone, but I believe it was an important factor for my acceptance to medical school. Good Luck with your decision.

5. Beccalyn

Beccalyn Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

thank you so much for your insight. Is there anyway I could email either of you ??? If so could you email me?
    thanks again

6. doctor jay

doctor jay Member
    10+ Year Member

I am finishing up the internship req's for my MPH in international health and will be a student at COMP (defered until 2002). Feel free to email me with q's about MPH if you'd like. Just check my profile for my email address.

------------------
    "Be wary when one says impossible, for it most likely means that they have just never seen it or done it before..."

7. chelledogg

chelledogg Junior Member

Beccalyn feel free to email me with any questions..I would be glad to help you with whatever I can. My email is in my profile. Look forward to hearing from you.