MPH/RD vs. MS/RD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sammy13

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of applying to grad school for dietetics. All of the programs I'm looking at are MS/RD programs as I'm primarily interested in the clinical side of nutrition. However, I am also interested in working in a more of a community setting (like at WIC or something similar). There is one school I just started looking at that offers both MS/RD and a MPH/RD degrees. The classes are very similar except the MPH has a few more. Is there a better option here or am I just overthinking it? I'd hate to get the MPH/RD and then find more interest in the clinical setting and have that degree hurt my chances. Can anyone offer any insight? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Sammy, what programs are you applying for? I think you can't really go wrong either way. Especially if you're interested in something like WIC, an MPH would be a great foundation for a community health setting. In the long run maybe the MPH is slightly better if it will provide a broader knowledge base for more diverse opportunities