MPH - rigorous?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ultane123

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
in general, how busy is a full-time MPH courseload at Hopkins vs. Columbia vs. Harvard? is there plenty of down time?

Members don't see this ad.

I went to Columbia SPH for MPH and was able to have a full-time job. My job was flexible as long as I put in 35 hours per week. I was able to write papers, did all the reading required for my courses.

I went to Columbia SPH for MPH and was able to have a full-time job. My job was flexible as long as I put in 35 hours per week. I was able to write papers, did all the reading required for my courses.

Hey,
Do you know by any chance how common it is for people to work while doing the full time MPH program? Are most courses offered at night which would allow people to work during the day? I don't know if I would want to work full time, but I think I would at least want to get a part time job while completing the program just to earn some extra money.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm finishing up my 4th year of medical school - completed an MPH at columbia prior to attending med school. the way the program is structured, it allows people to have full time jobs.... many classes beginning at 530 pm. i thought the coursework was a joke coming out of my undergrad.... i feel like there was a lot available to learn, but that you didn't need to learn much to excel in classes.

p

Reactions: 1 user
How many years is the MPH at columbia?

in general, how busy is a full-time MPH courseload at Hopkins vs. Columbia vs. Harvard? is there plenty of down time?

My friends at Hopkins mostly did the program full-time and either did not work during that period, or worked part-time (and some regretted even working part-time). I think some people (e.g. docs at the hospital) sometimes do the program while still working full-time, but they have a lot on their plates and it's a testament to their time-management skills that they are able to succeed. Because of the weird term system at Hopkins (four 8-week terms per academic year, not counting summer sessions and winter intersessions), there are papers and/or exams about every 4 weeks, so very little breathing room in between. Also, Hopkins has most people take a 16-unit minimum course-load each term, and you do your capstone while still finishing up classes. In other words, there isn't much downtime during the program at all; on the other hand, the program is fairly short, so people get out quickly. (The part-time MPH is a different animal.)

In the other master's programs and PhD/DrPH programs at Hopkins, people almost universally work part-time by their second year in the program, but by then the course requirements are lighter.

I did my MPH "full time" during which I still had time to hold a "part time" research assistantship - 20 hours/week officially, usually more like 40. I don't remember it being too hard as I really enjoyed what I was doing. But I definitely worked harder in med school. Medical fellows typically have a year dedicated to research +/- grad school with limited clinical responsibilities. I know one faculty member who essentially had a very full clinical load during his MPH in addition to getting some significant research up and going. It wasn't pretty to say the least.

For current or past students, did you find it relatively easy to secure a graduate assistantship or work-study job at your university?

I will be preparing for the LSAT during my 1st MPH year so I probably won't be getting a job....but maybe my second year I will.