MPH & scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anya79

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am trying to decide between Berkeley (interdisciplinary, 1 year) and Hopkins (health policy). I'm a CA resident so Berkeley is much cheaper. Hopkins has some scholarships but I haven't heard anything back yet, so I am assuming I'll be paying the full $43K if i go there. Has anyone heard about scholarships like Sommer or other large sum ones?
How important is the name/private education that I could get at Hopkins? I will have a MD in 2 years and people have said that where I get the MPH isn't as important. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming your interests would be covered by either program, you're probably better off going to Berkeley. If you're getting an MD anyway, it's unlikely that where you got the MPH will make a huge difference unless you're looking for hard-core public health jobs (and even then, the "name" difference between Berkeley and Hopkins isn't so big). Save up for med school! Also, unless you're thirsting for an "East Coast experience", most of Berkeley's a much nicer place to live than most of Baltimore. If Hopkins offers you a full ride, then you might reconsider. But otherwise, I'd say go to Berkeley!

However.....

I went to Berkeley (for my BS/BA) and worked in the School of Public Health...I now am finishing my MPH and work for Johns Hopkins (though I don't go there...they pay me, nice deal!)

I would make sure you check out the school at Berkeley, it is not as strong in "public health"and is a VERY research oriented program. If what you want to do is Research (and I mean the kind of reaserch that involves a bench) then Berkeley will be phenomenal. But i did not continue there because I wanted a more interdisciplinary program.

In my opinion Hopkins also lacks something from the applied side...but if you are looking to do policy how could it not be a boon to be so close to Washington.

Scholarships are virtually non-existant. I have a full-ride from my campus, but they give out only a couple per year. You should however check on scholarships available for med students to take "research" years...as you might qualify for that. It sounds like you already are in Med School?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's the oldest school west of the Mississippi.......here's a list of accomplishments in terms of the application of public health practices to society......alot of stuff in CA

I just found out today that I got into Harvard to the health policy and management department MPH! I am interested in policy and the less research the better. I appreciate research but I would rather be implementing findings from research than conducting it. Now I need to choose between Berkeley, Harvard and Hopkins, all really amazing schools. I have also considered applying to GW because of their location (and their application is due in april, i believe) but I am not sure if it makes sense now. GW is very policy focused (their dept isn't management & policy but policy on its own). Baltimore is close enough to DC, right?

oh and i should also add that i did my undergrad at Berkeley and I am very familiar with the school of public health (i took some courses and spent a lot of time in Warren Hall) and the Berkeley-San Francisco public health community in general. If I were to return, I could pick up where I left off....or go to the east coast and try something new. I am currently living southern CA, where I'm a 3rd year medical student.

US Navy Health Services Collegiate Corps: The program is designed to provide financial incentive for students in the health care allied professions to complete Master’s or Doctoral degree requirements and obtain commissions in the Medical Service Corps.

Maybe that would be your cup of tea? Check it out perhaps.....it might not be such a bad thing to have amilitary affiliation if you want to do policy.

Hopkins is about 40 minutes from the Mall in DC.....and then of course there is the policy wing in Bethesda (NIH) which is actually probably where more of it goes down.

Congrats on your acceptances....obviously you have all the options in the world!