MPH...then what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tass238

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a newly graduated doctor and would like to pursue a career in public health/community medicine. Im currently applying for an MPH but im not sure if that is the right way to go..can i do a PHD in public health after that? or do I need to have a masters of science?? and what about a preventive medicine residency after an MPH???

Members don't see this ad.

Me interested too. whY are you applying for ONLY an MPH, where you'll have to pay or get a scholarship?!

The PMR residency programs INCLUDE a year of MPH already built in into the 2 year residency, and you wont have to pay a dime, plus you'll actually be getting a resident's salary at the same time. The second year is for practicum rotations. Its almost like they're paying you to do an MPH.

But the caveat that most start from PGY2 - so you need to have done 1 year of intership elsewhere. Perhaps you havent done that. Well then if you get an MPH before the residency, most programs can also waive that 1 year off - essentially leaving you with only 1 year of 'residency' - and then you get board certified and have fun afterwards hehe!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello tass,

Yes, you can do a PhD but that degree would not necessarily be needed for a career in public health/community medicine, especially if you are going to pursue an MPH. No you do not need a Masters of science degree. I agree with snowbank's suggestion too. I knew a few doctors who were in my MPH program but were actually in residency and were having their MPH paid for! Of course, they loved it! :D

Im a newly graduated doctor and would like to pursue a career in public health/community medicine. Im currently applying for an MPH but im not sure if that is the right way to go..can i do a PHD in public health after that? or do I need to have a masters of science?? and what about a preventive medicine residency after an MPH???

Hey mesmerized,
Would love to hear more. Where were you doing your MPH, and do you know if those docs in the residency or on this forum, or perhaps whether you could get me in touch with them? We can PM if you're concerned about privacy!

As per my applications, I think there are only about 20-30 such residency programs in the whole country, and I think most have only 1 or 2 slots available.