MPH vs MHA Starting Salaries and Degrees helpful in Pharma?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDO2016

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work in the pharma industry specifically in clinical trials. I'm thinking about getting a Masters in Public Health or Masters in Health Administration to eventually move up in pharma in a management/director role and get a higher salary. I make 70-80K and would love to end up in the 120-150K range in the next 5 years. I have a clinical research/pharma/medical background.

I know there are other opportunities for MPH in public health departments/academia/epidemiology organizations and not sure what the starting salary outlook is for new grads after completing the program?

What is the starting salary for new grads of MHA programs? I know that can lead to different career paths too from healthcare consulting to hospital administrative work to medical business work as well.

I'm not completely sure I would stay in pharma and clinical trials, but I do want to grow professionally and eventually make over 6 figures. Ideally I would continue to work and do a MHA or MPH part-time online/weekend/evenings and try and finish within 1-2 years.

Anyone with more insight on starting salaries and different career paths or specifically having those degrees in the pharma industry and working at a large pharma company or CRO please share you advice!

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on your experience. But I'd say, if you're making $70-80k, an MHA or MPH in itself would not give you a huge bump. Unless an advance degree is what's keeping you from moving up into management (which seems unlikely in industry), I wouldn't put too much hope onto it. It's certainly possible for you to reach your goal, esp in pharma, but what will get you there is hard work and strategically taking opportunities--not going back to school.