MPH vs PhD, funding....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TJNYM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am in the process of finishing up my MS in psychology, but have decided instead of pursuing a PhD in psych (which was my initial intention) I would like to switch gears and go towards public health... probably epidemiology. And one of the key questions I keep debating about is whether to go for a MPH or a PhD. In a certain sense already having one masters it seems foolish to go right out and get another, but if a PhD is not really crucial to go far in the public health field (which is what I've heard)then its not really worth the extra years. So I was curious as to what people's opinions are for the worth of a PhD. I want to do research, don't really want to teach, so would I be ok and make good money with just a MPH?? And how realistic is it to get into a PhD program with no actual public health experience?

Also funding is a very big issue. I was very fortunate to find an MS program in Psych where I got full funding and an assistanship, but I still have my loans to pay off from undergrad and I really would not like to add to much onto that. I've been looking at various programs: Univ of Minn, Yale, Columbia, UPitt, etc but funding seems to be a rare thing. Are there good MPH programs that do provide a good amount of funding for students?

Members don't see this ad.

There are programs that provide funding for MPH students (I think UMass Amherst is good about that) but not the majority I believe. Also, the difference between an MPH and PhD in regards to research can be jumping a few rungs on the professional ladder quicker. A MPH will generally never be in charge of a study (they might coordinate it but they won't be the first author). Also a lot of people in science understand PhD a lot better than MPH; it all depends on what field you are going into though. That said, a MPH does give you a lot of opportunities you just need to figure out exactly what you want out of your career before you start because getting a masters and then a PhD seems like a waste of two years tuition money.