MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thirdangel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am going to get my MPH before applying again to medical school and I was wondering what concentration(s) would be most helpful -- nutrition, toxicology, or health behavior/health education? Any ideas?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

if you're doing this as a steping stone to medicine and will be doing research, try to get into a lab that will help you produce a paper.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by thirdangel:
•Hi! I am going to get my MPH before applying again to medical school and I was wondering what concentration(s) would be most helpful -- nutrition, toxicology, or health behavior/health education? Any ideas?

Thanks.•••••Hi,

I did the same thing (finished the MPH yesterday as a matter of fact). In all honesty, do the one you find most interesting, just try and make your course of study medically related. Any of the three would work. I did mine in Community Health (HB/HE was a possible subspecialty). Producing a paper isn't necessary, but you should get involved either in public health work or research it will make your experience much more valuable. If you have anymore specific questions, let me know.

I did my ScM before med school as well. I concentrated in Health and Social Behavior, but only because it was a really flexible department. I was really interested in health policy and the social determinants of health and many of my courses were outside the department. With some concentrations, you have so many departmental requirements, that it becomes difficult to branch out.

My suggestion-- figure out what you're most interested in and find a department that will let you study it. I don't think it matters what you studied in terms of med school admissions. The population perspective is an incredibly useful one to have before entering medicine...I applaud you for taking the time to do the MPH first.