SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

MPH

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Dr.Su, Jun 16, 2002.

1. Dr.Su

Dr.Su Member 7+ Year Member

Feb 21, 2002
    Hi everyone, i am in the process og getting an MPH while i apply to med school, becasue i was hoping that it would help me get in and enhance my knowlege of the medical field from a different perspective. my question is what role does an mph play once u becomne a physician. is it only useful in acadenic medicine or in private practice too? thanx.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. DrMom

DrMom Official Mom of SDN Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

What are you getting your MPH in?

I did an MPH in health admin. & policy. I feel that this gave me a great background in the business side of medicine--took courses that related to healthcare economics, program development and planning, budgeting, healthcare quality, healthcare politics, etc along with the general public health courses (epidemiology, biostats, environmental health, health education, etc).

This degree was definitely seen as a plus when I applied to med school, plus the info will be useful when I am in practice. (actually, 2 of my classmates in my MPH program will be my medschool professors!)

4. drusso

drusso Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Nov 21, 1998
    Over the rainbow
    I have a MPH and a MS in clinical research and medical education. The MPH is a great, broadly-based degree that gives you good exposure to health care policy, economics, epidemiology, population-based medicine, and clinical research. It's hard to say *EXACTLY* how it influences your practice of medicine per se; it just gives you a wider perspective. It's also a great degree if you're considering a career in administration, academics, or occupational medicine.

5. Dr.Su

Dr.Su Member 7+ Year Member

Feb 21, 2002
    i am deciding between an mph in community medicine and administration. but the 2 are v.similar w/only like 4 courses being different. thanks for the feedback! susan

6. jabroni108

jabroni108 Member 7+ Year Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Florida
    Hi, i am going to DO school in the fall, and I am seriously considering getting an MPH with the medical degree. I was wondering, do residency directors see master's degrees as a plus when applying for residency??? any thoughts??