MPJE Pennsylvania - How I passed.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

charx2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I find others posting their experiences always helps, so here is how my process went.

I'm reciprocating to PA and started the process in November by requesting/paying the NABP. A few days later I got my paperwork, and a few days after that, I got everything mailed off to PA (Dec 12). I received a letter informing me that they had received my paperwork/I could register to view my license details the first week of January. PA breaks down step-by-step what paperwork you've completed, which is basically the NABP paperwork and your test.

I did not remember, nor was it extremely clear in the directions on NABP, but I put a delay on my own process by not paying for the MPJE ahead of time -- you cannot get your ATT until the BOP sees you have paid for your exam. The BOP wasn't very helpful (or friendly) but I figured it out.

I paid for the exam Jan 22 and on Jan 26, I received my ATT.

The way I studied was:

• Read through the two links on the BOP site (Rules & Regulations/PA code, Law/Pharmacy Act). I ultimately read these twice, taking notes on NUMBERS since they're easy to mix up yet easy to memorize (number of years, time allowances, etc).
  • I also read Reiss & Hall Guide to Federal Pharmacy Law Volume 7 - it's a very easy read, breaking down the various federal laws/Acts, and has over 300 practice questions (plus more throughout each chapter). I read this one full time, but doing the practice questions helped me refocus on areas I wasn't sure of.
  • I did get ProntoPass, because it really helped me pass the NAPLEX/MPJE the first time around, but I didn't find it all that helpful this time. I learn best from repetition, and I feared jinxing myself by not doing it the same way the last time I took (and passed) the exam, but I don't think I would've done any different without them.
  • Someone posted flash cards online, which others have referenced (if you search for PA MPJE studying, it's one of the first links on google), and this was a nice double-check.
  • Finally, I bought Musheno's MPJE Made Easy - this was great because he really does focus on important laws in PA. I actually did this early in my studying, realized how much I didn't know (and where I didn't really pay attention while reading) and it helped me refocus in my reading. He's also there to answer any questions, and is very helpful and quick to answer. Highly recommend this!
  • There are other areas you should dig through just to be familiar - PA is picky about their Optometrists licenses and who can prescribe what, as well as other non-physician prescribers, and a quick look at the various fees may be handy too. It's also a good idea to scan through the PA Code for other things pertinent to pharmacy that isn't directly linked on the BOP site.

I took my exam Thursday Feb 7 and found out I passed Thursday Feb 14 by searching my name and showing up with an active license :soexcited: (I started searching online Thursday afternoon :xf: in extreme hopes that I would know instantly!) I still don't know my score, and PA is not listed on NABP as one of the states that allow online posting of your score, so I presume I will get snail mail in the next few days.

In conclusion, I was on question 6 and already felt I was going to have to retake the exam. I definitely knew some questions like the back of my hand, and others I stared at the screen, not remembering reading an ounce of information relating to the subject, and overall felt I could've failed or passed. As I was taking the exam, for the most part, it wasn't "hard" but it's all a matter of how well you remember the material, what material they ask about, and how they word the question. There seemed to be a lot more "choose all that apply" and "A-E", as opposed to the K-type questions.

Hopefully this helps others - I invested in this test, and it paid off. Good luck to anyone reading this who is still preparing!

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to share my experience as well. I am reciprocating my license to PA. Firstly register via NABP and wait for the paperwork to arrive. Make sure you register for MPJE right after you mail off the paperwork to PA Board of Pharmacy via the NABP site. I received the response back from PA BOP within a week, register on the PA website as instructed in the mail. Soon after I received the ATT via email.

Studying:
- I mainly used the flash cards online as mentioned above. http://quizlet.com/balasana , Go through the DEA, FDA and PA Law ones thoroughly, It is not up to date, but 90 % is correct. Also http://www.cram.com/flashcards/pa-mpjefederal-pharmacy-law-828882
- I also bought Musheno's MPJE made easy CD, I think this was really helpful.

I took the test on 5/13/14, and the first place that showed I passed was the NABP site itself on 5/16/13. I was quite sure I failed the exam, this is what almost everyone I talk to feels like after taking any state's MPJE, but I passed with an 85 :).

Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user