MR5: MCAT, 2013 and beyond

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orbiter104

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any opinions/strategies on MR5 and how it could possibly affect you? (http://www.aamc.org/mr5)

I know that this is a bit down the road and many of us are preparing now to finish our prerequisites based on the current MCAT; however, with all that we are doing as non-traditional students, two-three years (maybe longer) to finish the requirements may put some of us on the edge of the timleine in which the new MCATs will be released (at the earliest). Is anyone trying to set their own timelines/goals on ensuring that you take the current MCAT? or perhaps willing to experiment or wait for the new one once it's released?

I hope to finish all of my needed requirements by 2012 and continue my track and study habits based on the knowledge that I will need to better prepare myself for medical school. I'm sure I would be able to adapt to whatever changes the committee decides as it is in the best interest of finding the best medical school candidates but since it may incorporate new methodologies and will contain plenty of errors it may serve to be a disadvantage, although it would be that way across the board.

Members don't see this ad.

Any opinions/strategies on MR5 and how it could possibly affect you? (http://www.aamc.org/mr5)

I know that this is a bit down the road and many of us are preparing now to finish our prerequisites based on the current MCAT; however, with all that we are doing as non-traditional students, two-three years (maybe longer) to finish the requirements may put some of us on the edge of the timleine in which the new MCATs will be released (at the earliest). Is anyone trying to set their own timelines/goals on ensuring that you take the current MCAT? or perhaps willing to experiment or wait for the new one once it's released?

I hope to finish all of my needed requirements by 2012 and continue my track and study habits based on the knowledge that I will need to better prepare myself for medical school. I'm sure I would be able to adapt to whatever changes the committee decides as it is in the best interest of finding the best medical school candidates but since it may incorporate new methodologies and will contain plenty of errors it may serve to be a disadvantage, although it would be that way across the board.

I had not heard anything about this, do tell...

This is not something unexpected. There is even talk about changing the prereqs needed for medical school in order to make time for other subjects at the med school level. When or if any of this will happen is up in the air.

But consider this: all of the medically-oriented tests I have had the opportunity to interact with up to this point have changed right around the time that I took them. I took the MCAT a year early, so I barely missed out on it changing from the paper-based test to the CBT. That change wasn't very long ago (2005). Step 1 changed last May, right before I took it. They raised the passing grade, changed the questions somewhat to make them longer and harder, added A/V questions, and decreased the number of questions on the test. The passing score may be raised again in December. Step 2 changed this summer in a similar manner. By the time those of you applying within the next year or two read this, Steps 1 and 2 may be combined into one megatest; they're talking about doing that right now.

The point is that all of these tests are continuously evolving, and worrying about it prematurely is pointless. When it comes time to take each test, you will have information concerning what is on the test and how the test is structured so that you can prepare accordingly. There will be some kind of provision to "grandfather" people who began under the old system so that you won't have people like MD/PhD students getting stuck between them. In addition, the tests are standardized so that whether you take the old or new version should not affect your final score.

As you have probably heard people say, nothing stays the same in medicine, and that includes the tests. Of course, one thing that you can absolutely count on is that all of these tests, at every level, will continue to get more and more expensive. :hungover:

Members don't see this ad :)
ERRAH GUNNY!

Taking the MCAT in 2013 -- interested to see where they go with this.

learn the pre-reqs better than anyone at your school and you will be fine.