MRCS (UK) and Surgery Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medisid

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does MRCS degree from UK (any of four collegiates) have an impact on PDs while applying for a surgery residency..............
i have heard they make u good and qualified candidiate in front of other grads.
any of you any idea???
thanx

Members don't see this ad.

medisid said:
does MRCS degree from UK (any of four collegiates) have an impact on PDs while applying for a surgery residency..............
i have heard they make u good and qualified candidiate in front of other grads.
any of you any idea???
thanx

While it generally won't hurt, there are some PDs (by conventional wisdom) who prefer students right out of medical school. Its a lot easier to teach somebody something the first time rather than try and break well-ingrained habits.

That being said, it probably doesn't make as much a difference as your USMLE scores, LORs, and the rest of the "numbers" but adds a little sheen to your application at programs who are willing to take FMGs.

Kimberli Cox said:
While it generally won't hurt, there are some PDs (by conventional wisdom) who prefer students right out of medical school. Its a lot easier to teach somebody something the first time rather than try and break well-ingrained habits.

That being said, it probably doesn't make as much a difference as your USMLE scores, LORs, and the rest of the "numbers" but adds a little sheen to your application at programs who are willing to take FMGs.

dr kimberli COX could u help me???
im a fmg & need visa>>
could i match with both step early 90s even in any worthy prelim surg where i could have a chance for PGY2 ??????
im very hard working and i will prove my worth!!
or should i try to take IM as a last option if i dont get surg prelim
??

Members don't see this ad :)
medisid said:
dr kimberli COX could u help me???
im a fmg & need visa>>
could i match with both step early 90s even in any worthy prelim surg where i could have a chance for PGY2 ??????
im very hard working and i will prove my worth!!
or should i try to take IM as a last option if i dont get surg prelim
??

Unfortunately, I don't have a crystal ball so can't answer your question.

You will only find out if you can obtain a general surgery position by trying.

If you would be satisfied doing IM (and then possibly a procedure based specialty like GI) then that can be your back-up, although remember that your LORs might need to be changed to reflect the different specialties.

Kimberli Cox said:
Unfortunately, I don't have a crystal ball so can't answer your question.

You will only find out if you can obtain a general surgery position by trying.

If you would be satisfied doing IM (and then possibly a procedure based specialty like GI) then that can be your back-up, although remember that your LORs might need to be changed to reflect the different specialties.

thanks dr K C :)

Hello
I am applying for the part A MRCS exam, would you mind please telling me some important tips about it or important MCQ books ?
I need help please .

Hello
I am applying for the part A MRCS exam, would you mind please telling me some important tips about it or important MCQ books
I need help please.

Hi guys,

Just passed my MRCS part A so I'm pretty excited. I would suggest buy Raftery Applied basic sciences and do online pastest questions. Focus on questions rather than knowing every bit from the book.

In terms of whether MRCS nights help... I'm a uk grad and thinking of applying in the US. Unfortunately I have the response from one single faculty re MRCS. they felt that it's an extra qualfication you have, therefore a positive thing. But def they focused on usmles and LORs.
I am doing the MRCS for a few reason:
1) personal satisfaction
2) extra credential for both UK and US
3) good revision for basic sciences which have a lot of overlap with usmle's physio, path.

Also note that MRCS is different from FRCS. MRCS can be done by anyone who graduated. Therefore you could do it 1st year post grad, it's hard but not impossible. FRCS can be obtained only after full surgical training.

Hope this helps.