MS 1 with questions about COMLEX?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

Wo1verine7DO

Does COMLEX II and III have OMM on it? I was wondering, cause what if I rotate in a hospital that isn't really an osteopathic hospital or obtain a residency? Also, do you have to take both the USMLE Step 2 and 3 as well as the comlex? I just randomly thought about this when I was in OMM last monday. I know a lot of things can change since I'm only in my first year. Does anyone know anything about this subject matter?
Thanks,
Anthony

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about the OMM, but I am assuming it is on step 2 and 3 of the COMLEX. You don't have to take the USMLE unless you feel you need to (but I am assuming you already knew that). I understand that most people that take the USMLE will often take step 2, especially if you are applying to a competitive residency. Most of the osteopathic students will not take USMLE step 3. You will already be set up for residency by that time, and it really doesn't make sense to take it since it won't grant you a license and the COMLEX step 3 is what is needed to get your license.

As far as Tep III goes, some people have asserted that you can take either USMLE or COMLEX for Step III, but I havent seen proof of this.

As far as OMM, the theory and practice are evident throughout all steps of the COMLEX. During your core rotations and your university affiliated hospital, you will (hopefully) get plenty of OMM exposure, so this shouldnt be too big a problem. Also, the quality of the review materials are excellent, and the level of OMM doesnt seem to chaneg much (i.e. what we learn now is pretty much how it is 3 years from now, as far as Dx, Rx, etc).

COMLEX 2 does have OMM on it... almost identical to Step 1, pretty easy stuff, just memorize the sympathetic levels and know how to position a patient with muscle energy.

Q, DO