MS-2 : Second semester: Working from Hometown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cooldown

Reaction score
I go to school about 4 hours drive away.

I'm planning to come to my hometown (large city but neighborhoods) and study at a room without distractions (with options to go elsewhere when needed a change). Our semester ends in April but Im planning to move end of March and commute once per week to medschool for exams etc

Anyone doing something similar? how are they/you managing it?

I find that my home town is just a change of scenery (and chance to see 1-2 old acquaintances and have some places of comfort) I got tired of living in medschool town and also of my studio apt for 1.5 years.

I have set up a home study room in hometown. anyone doing something similar ?

Members don't see this ad.

If your school records lectures and you go in for tests, sure. However, what are you doing during the summer? Do you have research set up? Are you going for a specialty that requires a research summer?

If your school records lectures and you go in for tests, sure. However, what are you doing during the summer? Do you have research set up? Are you going for a specialty that requires a research summer?
OP is an MS2 so I presume they will be starting rotations after step

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The only issue is making my schedule - living with my mother(its a big house, and she works overnight shifts ) so it's nota big distraction but i have to keep my daily sleep/wake up routine and not get caught in her issues which are a big FOCUS KILLER.

The only issue is making my schedule - living with my mother(its a big house, and she works overnight shifts ) so it's nota big distraction but i have to keep my daily sleep/wake up routine and not get caught in her issues which are a big FOCUS KILLER.

As someone who lives at home because my med school is 15 minutes away, let me tell you that (for me anyway) it's basically impossible not to get caught in my parents' issues. Thankfully, in my case, they aren't "big FOCUS KILLERS," and I already anticipated (and looked forward to) being very involved in my family's life when I made the decision to live at home, so my experience has been largely positive. I'm not sure exactly why you want to leave. I guess it is a change in scenery, but 4 hours is a long drive to your school. Are you unhappy with your current living arrangements?

Would this situation be at all possible during M1? I also live 4 hours from med school but was planning on renting a room in addition to having a home where my family resides.

This would be perfect if doable but until this point it seemed to be a terrible idea. If it matters, I plan to do family med but do want to keep options open.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
not worth it for M1. You'll need to be at school far too much for it to be plausible

Reactions: 1 users
People do this at my school and live anywhere from 60-90 minutes away, but not 4 hours.

I was going to say that this was probably possible depending on the situation, but no way should you do this if your parents are "focus killers"

Suck it up and stay at school, it'll be over before you know it

Reactions: 1 user
Curious about replies on this also. I am 2 hours away from one school, considering commuting at home as I have young kids. I figured I’d start by commuting and if it’s too much, we’d move closer or I would consider an apt near school that I stay at for 2-3 nights a week. I do 4 hour drives to visit extended family about every 6-8 weeks. That distance SUCKS! I can’t imagine doing that weekly.

Curious about replies on this also. I am 2 hours away from one school, considering commuting at home as I have young kids. I figured I’d start by commuting and if it’s too much, we’d move closer or I would consider an apt near school that I stay at for 2-3 nights a week. I do 4 hour drives to visit extended family about every 6-8 weeks. That distance SUCKS! I can’t imagine doing that weekly.

I feel like 2 hours would be fairly manageable if your school doesn't have mandatory lecture. I can understand you trying to make it work in this situation with the kids. On the other hand, if you have young kids, you might not want to spend that much time commuting when it could be spent doing other things, like running errands or sleeping.

As someone who lives at home because my med school is 15 minutes away, let me tell you that (for me anyway) it's basically impossible not to get caught in my parents' issues. Thankfully, in my case, they aren't "big FOCUS KILLERS," and I already anticipated (and looked forward to) being very involved in my family's life when I made the decision to live at home, so my experience has been largely positive. I'm not sure exactly why you want to leave. I guess it is a change in scenery, but 4 hours is a long drive to your school. Are you unhappy with your current living arrangements?

Thank you all for giving me a sounding board and perspective. YOU ONLY TRULY understand this.

Reaons for doing this:
1) Have made a study office in one of the rooms
2) Feel more connected/grounded to the city/town
3) ability to see non-med school frds for 1-3 hours per week <--mental health
4) I have a cute studio - but was going crazy not having healthy loving, good social contact with ppl i know, and dealing with personal issues alone.

The commute will only be ONE round trip per week. So not bad. This month from now-mid-Feb, I will stay in my studio apt.
Then starting mid-March (AFter spring break) to mid-April : commute one round trip per week (so 4 hours one way, and then 4 hours back) . I will stay there overnight for 2-3 days as schedule requires. I will order meals via cafe/online meal service.

Some problems with home:
1) single non-american mom who is very sub-clinical depressed IMO, but respecful/quiet so essentially a rooomate but it's imp to keep boundaries and not feel like i have to fix her or her issues.

2) had to create my own space - furnish the room and make my bedroom homey and comfortable. but that's a worthwhile investment.

3) some of her habits get on my nerves with cleaning (but that's just a roommate) and I'm fine as long as i stay focus on my goals and not on improving/fixing her.but that' can happen with practice and now that i have my own study /home office, i believe i will be ok.

Last edited:
listen to golijan during drive, if you dont have more than one day a week of mandatory stuff it shouldnt be too egregious, as a reasonable commute of 20 minutes each way would be 280 minutes / week which is less then the projected 240 minutes once a week commute.

People do this at my school and live anywhere from 60-90 minutes away, but not 4 hours.

I was going to say that this was probably possible depending on the situation, but no way should you do this if your parents are "focus killers"

Suck it up and stay at school, it'll be over before you know it

its' true that this block my grades have suffered, and my time has suffered (lack of routine, having to set up a new home in a place, etc) but i'm ok now and i will get through this.

listen to golijan during drive, if you dont have more than one day a week of mandatory stuff it shouldnt be too egregious, as a reasonable commute of 20 minutes each way would be 280 minutes / week which is less then the projected 240 minutes once a week commute.

yes i bought a bluetooth speaker and listen to golijan all the time. sometimes i switch it up for the radio for a few mins but i listen to golijan too. I have a 4 hours each x 2 but i do it in non-traffice late night.early morning time so it's ok.

I made this decision for my own mental health b.c i was getting depressed alone in my studio. I know my grades have suffered as i recalibrate this move but ultimately i think it's for the best.

i know that i have the peak performance anxiety at my school town where i know everywhere near me is studying - so one area of challenge is re-creating that peak-happy-anxiety spot at my home environment - in a way, none near me in hometown is med-schooly and decided to set up a home office instead of going to the library (Where other med schools may be studying- as my hometown is a big city with lots of med students/schools/fmg).

Last edited:
in april/may i have 2 days per week of mandatory stuff-some week -3 , i was planning to air-mattress it with a friend during that time who lives in my current apt building in school-town.

Sounds like you are really depressed and you are about to make your life more complicated and less convenient than necessary. Don’t create problems for yourself. I personally don’t think it would be worthwhile. If you’re going to see your friends for 1-3hrs/week, why not just go home on weekends? You’ll need to move back for 3rd and 4th year anyway. Do you really want to throw an unnecessary move for a few months into the picture?

The description of your home is not very appealing. Are you sure “a change of scenery” will improve your life? I honestly don’t know if moving home is going to help your problems and it will definitely harm other aspects of your life.

If you are miserable and want a change, do something that will help. Exercise, game night, music lessons, volunteer work, find roommates, etc.

Have you talked to a therapist or a counselor? Moving home with your mom (who annoys you) doesn’t sound like a good answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users