MS 3 need help setting next year's schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Radonkey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a 233 on Step 1 and now I'm trying to pick my rotations for next year. I can't decide if I should take Step 2 early in June/July or later like Oct/Nov/Dec. I know that this topic was discussed earlier last year or the year before and I'm rehashing the question. Its just that recently, our dean keeps on telling us to take Step 2 early regardless of how we did because he said that program directors called him to see whether our scores are in, especially in competitive programs. In your experience, do you find this to be true? Does his suggestions apply to Rad Onc programs? How important is Step 2 and how much harder should I try to get that 240+ score?

Thanks! :luck: May you get what your heart desires tomorrow!

Members don't see this ad.

Radonkey said:
I had a 233 on Step 1 and now I'm trying to pick my rotations for next year. I can't decide if I should take Step 2 early in June/July or later like Oct/Nov/Dec. I know that this topic was discussed earlier last year or the year before and I'm rehashing the question. Its just that recently, our dean keeps on telling us to take Step 2 early regardless of how we did because he said that program directors called him to see whether our scores are in, especially in competitive programs. In your experience, do you find this to be true? Does his suggestions apply to Rad Onc programs? How important is Step 2 and how much harder should I try to get that 240+ score?

please see the FAQ about usmle scores etc. Good luck.

Radonkey said:

If you have rocked your mini-boards during clerkships, I would go ahead and take Step 2 early. I waited until Dec. because I had a good Step 1 and was told by Dean of Students and a Program Director in Rad Onc that I had little to gain. I proceeded to go up 11 pts with little study, and I regret waiting. I did get to send my score in before rank lists, but it didn't help me get any interviews. Trust me, you will only get dumber in fourth year, especially if you fill it with Rad Onc electives (not a single question on Step 2 as you might imagine!) Do lots of questions. I suggest Qbank and NMS cd-rom.