MS degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubbajones

BIG TEX
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does an MS degree in anatomy or biology potentially help a student gain acceptance to med school? Would it be helpful when applying for residency down the line?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that an ms degree can help you get accepted. I am currently finishing my ms in anatomy at Case Western Reserve. This degree is basically the first two years of medical school but with more concentration on anatomy, histology, etc. I believe that the degree was definately a an improvement to my application and I believe it helped me to get accepted as well as prepare me for med school.

well a lot of applicants...get into schools without MS degrees...even the low gpa applicants.

tho an MS may not be as impressive now as it would have been a few years ago (since more and more people are getting a masters)....the MS degree can only help you.

Members don't see this ad :)
yup, it can only help.. so long as you dont bomb it.

I think you should concentrate more on what you get out of the MS program than the degree itself. I don't think adcoms would care much if they simply saw a "masters degree" on your transcript. However, if as mentioned above, you take tough, challenging courses - and do well on them - than that'll open an eye or two. In addition, these courses, like anatomy especially, would probably help you in med school classes.

Also, if you do a thesis and possibly publish, then that alone can give you great research training and carry weight, as a publication, later on in your career.

It's what you do for the masters degree that counts more than the degree itself.

Wut about ms degrees and programs made specifically for premeds?

Does anyone know of any really great MS programs that concentrate on anatomy? Please let me know.

Georgetown has one if you're the heir to a small country or a multimillionaire. It's very pricey but supposedly one of the best in helping those who didn't get accepted to med school get accepted.

Other schools, such as private institutions, often offer a MS only contingent on entry into a PhD program.

Call schools and ask if they offer an MS in bio/physio/anatomy etc... My personal experience has been that a MS has been my BIGGEST selling feature and can only help get you into the "ranking/subgroup."

With average grades and average MCATS a well-done MS may get you that interview at a top 25 school. But an average MS will only reiterate your average performance and could hurt.

So word of advice, take your time, do VERY well, and you will reap the rewards of a graduate education.
:) :)

Do you know of any other programs in the northeast or the south? I would rather go to a public institution.

Originally posted by bubbajones
Do you know of any other programs in the northeast or the south? I would rather go to a public institution.

USC School of Medicine has a seperate Master's program. The average GPA for PhD matrics was 3.38, master's was 3.01. I believe it is a fairly new program.

www.med.sc.edu

I am going to do this if I am not accepted this cycle.

Originally posted by JKDMed
USC School of Medicine has a seperate Master's program. The average GPA for PhD matrics was 3.38, master's was 3.01. I believe it is a fairly new program.

www.med.sc.edu

I am going to do this if I am not accepted this cycle.

coo