ms for international students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentistforu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi
i have applied for an ms i prosthodontics and have been called for an interview
i was wondering if somebody could help me with the questions they ask and how to go about answering them
its urgent i would really appreciate some help
also how to dress for such an interview
thank u

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Which School did u apply ? when did u get the interview call?
Pl check your PM.

Thanks

i have applied to baylor college and i was really interesterd to know what ques they ask and how shud i tackle them
cheers

Members don't see this ad :)
hi
i was still wondering if somebody knows anything about the interviews
meggs if u have any other info could u tell me
i would really apprecaite any help
:clap:

did you go to dentaltown.com? I'm sure they'll probably have some prostho student or recent graduate, who might be able to help you.

or just do a search on the internet, but other than SDN and dentaltown, I don't know any other active forums.

Good luck

hi meggs
i did go to dentaltown.com and thanks i did get a reply
i am hoping everything goes well
saw your posting there
what is your application status
loma linda has asked me to reactivate my application too.
how is part 2 coming along.me i am banking eberything on this interview
well so long
and thanks for all the help

you're are soooooo not dying anytime soon.... I just read this and thought of you, http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88064

About LLU, go for it, I mean, you're not that far from it, and their app fee can't be that much, at least not more than UCLA or UCSF. :eek: :rolleyes: Every single progress :rolleyes: (if such thing exists) in my app process, I post it on the application thread, I'm tired, don't wanna type it again :p Nahh, not taking part 2 yet, Henna's fault!....... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :p

me i am banking eberything on this interview
Nothing unique about that. It sure makes 2 of us. :p :D

i would really like to say the same for u
i was reading your post in sdn and was thinking of u.that is when i realized u are back in india right now.
thnak u for the link it made so much sense
i feel so much better with all your help
thank u once again

Originally posted by dentistforu
i would really like to say the same for u
i was reading your post in sdn and was thinking of u.that is when i realized u are back in india right now.

Beleive it or not, there are people in this thread who aren't Indian. :p j/k. :p :D

Nahh, I'm not Indian, although in US when I wear straight hair I get confused by one, ;) , only I wish my hair was Indian..;) :laugh: seriously.

by the way, when I said "you're not dying anytime soon", it's 'cause at least in my culture is beleived (I dunno about any other one), that when you're just talking or thinking about someone, and right in that moment the person shows up, that person is supossed going to be living for many years to come. :rolleyes: you know, old sayings......:p :D

hey thats exactly what i meant too when i said same for u
in our custom too if u think of someone and the said person appears then we say the same thing
anyways i am sorry for having asumed stuff
i kind of gathered that from your posts
my mistake entirely
all the best

Hi,
i have an interview for specialty too. Good luck. dress professionally, a nice suit with a shirt or blouse inside. and be yourself and be confident. questions are general- why prostho, why this school, what are your long term goals, your interests etc. when is your interview? mine is nex week. i am sure u will do great.

You all do your home work.....
I do not want to sound negative, but specialty programs, esp. clinical subjects are getting to be more competitive and more so for foreign graduates with out a DMD/DDS degree....
Interview for sure is very laid back and they will ask you very general questions. If you guys have any specific questions, shoot. May be I can help........
GOOD LUCK to everyone.......

Originally posted by dentistforu
anyways i am sorry for having asumed stuff
i kind of gathered that from your posts
my mistake entirely
all the best
:p :cool: :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
i understand that these programs are very competitive. but once u reach the interview, u are at par with the other candidates right? or they do discriminate?
i have a question, they ask u 'tell me about yourself'. so, what do u answer to that question, your background, dental school etc or your personal traits. also, what would be a good answer to a question like 'where do u see yourself in x amt of time'... ofcourse everyone wants to be a good clinician and may be be involved in academics too. but besides that, what do they expect?
thanks..

Originally posted by sck
.... but once u reach the interview, u are at par with the other candidates right? ....

I really doubt that will be the case in ANY application process.

sck,

Regarding "tell me about yourself..." question, it is a very broad open ended question, I can tell you how I would go about it, I would start with my background, keep it brief, and talk mainly about my schooling and work experiance. at the same time do not go on and on, keep it brief and let them guide you with their next question. At the same time I cannot tel you what is expected as people interveiwing are very different, and I don't think there is a set answer for that question. They just want to get to know you. Hope this helps, and beleive me it has worked for me for sure.
Good Luck.

Hi,
Thanks a lot Kpat, this is a good suggestion for that question. Are u in your residency currently? if so, which branch?
Thanks.

Yes. I am doing a 3 yr. masters program, looking forward to getting done..........if I ever get done with my research, instead I keep browsing through this site .......... :)))

Hi,
Kpat, is it an ortho program? and how do u plan to get your license? because that's an issue to be considered too, right?

Well,

I already have my license and have practiced before. And no, its not Ortho.

Hi,
could you give some info about the requirements for MS speciality program. I already read in the forum, but Iam not getting what r the exact req.

Originally posted by Rithu
Hi,
could you give some info about the requirements for MS speciality program. I already read in the forum, but Iam not getting what r the exact req.

Iam sure others will have better info for you , but just to get you started, try to contact the schools (by e-mail) they will be able to give you the details about the requirements.

Originally posted by Rithu
Hi,

Are you talking about exact application requirements? or the qualifications you should have to get accepted?

Because the first ones will get only from schools. As Henna said, visit their websites, call and write them to find out which minimim requirements you should fulfill for the school to even consider you. It's better for you to try to get first hand info.

The later ones, well, that's the million dollar question. As someone else said around here, no one knows what the AdComs want. :confused:

They depend on what program u want to apply to. part 1, part 2, TOEFL are always mandatory. GRE is required for Ortho and may be some other programs and really good GRE scores, ie above 1200 in verbal+qauntitative. Class standing is also imp, for ortho u have to be in the top 5-10% of your class and for other specialties u should hold a decent class standing too. OS is a different thing, i am not sure of OS. Prostho and perio are comparatively easier to get in, if u like them. good recommendation letters, SOP, resume are also imp. some research experience helps, volunteer, public health exposure is useful. many programs participate in PASS. so, u have to find out about that, also register for Match. the websites are www.adea.org/PASS and www.natmatch.com.
but again as i said, figure out what u want to do, which program u want to pursue and then start the application process, apply to as many schools as possible, all the schools that accept foreign grads.. u have to put in efforts, i dont know whether it works out or not!! but be positive.

Originally posted by sck
They depend on what program u want to apply to. part 1, part 2, TOEFL are always mandatory.
Actually some programs won't require part 2. AEGD and GRE don't usually require boards scores at all. She'll have to do a very detailed search.

Class standing is also imp, for ortho u have to be in the top 5-10% of your class and for other specialties u should hold a decent class standing too. OS is a different thing, i am not sure of OS.
Ortho, Endo and OMS are the most competitive ones. They all demand high class standing, high board scores, externships and research experience, etc. The rest of programs also do, but not as much, 'cause they have less applicants wanting to get in.

apply to as many schools as possible, all the schools that accept foreign grads..
Yes, you're right. It's very important that she does her homework about that last part. Not all schools will take foreign grads. It's better to write AdOff to find out if they do or don't, before you waste your money. Although most of them will state their degree preference in their addmissions requirements. I've seen some websites asking for DDS from acredited programs in order to apply.

Kpat, I have a new question for you, :D Beign UPenn the type of school it is, do you think it was hard for regular students to mantain a nice GPA and a good class standing? 'cause UPenn puts a high number of its graduates in post graduate training, so I was just wondering how hard will it be....... for whoever gets admitted at UPenn, :rolleyes: not me of course, they're reviewing my thing twice for godsake's :rolleyes:

Meggs wrote:
Kpat, I have a new question for you, Beign UPenn the type of school it is, do you think it was hard for regular students to mantain a nice GPA and a good class standing? 'cause UPenn puts a high number of its graduates in post graduate training, so I was just wondering how hard will it be....... for whoever gets admitted at UPenn, not me of course, they're reviewing my thing twice for godsake's

Come on Meggs,
There is no regular or average student......Everyone is good enough and qualified enough.........We are all dentists already from different places, remember? Only difference is most of the people who go to Penn usually have plans to do masters. ( I sure did and I sure am doing my MS ;-)))....) And, you better give yourself more credit! I am sure you will hear from them SOON.
Good Luck.
kpat.

Hi guys,
thanks for giving info about ms program and sharing ur ideas.

Are you talking about exact application requirements? or the qualifications you should have to get accepted?

Meggs, I was asking about basic req for applying ms program. I know it varies for diff schools..I have partI,partII & TOEFL scores.but I didn't take GRE so far.
could you please mention the site where I can find schools offering the ms. If it has been already discussed in other thread, please mention the link.

Do u plan to do Ortho residency? if so, u have to take GRE, u dont need it for other programs. Like i said, go to www.ADEA.org/PASS to see a list of participating programs. for other programs that dont participate in the PASS application process, u have to go to individual school websites. for pedo residency u can go to www.aapd.org/training. first determine the area of specialization and then do research on it.
Good luck.

Well,

GRE for only Ortho - not true. I am in Endo and I had to take GRE, both the written and essay!
Meggs, You are right, Endo, OS and Ortho are kinda hard to get in. Good suggestion by sck, figure out the specialty and then proceed.

Good Luck.

Some schools won't participate in the PASS. The ADA has a page with the link to everysingle school and its programs. You can find the link in the first sticky thread in this forum ''Links of interest.....''

Hi kpat,
I had to take GRE, both the written and essay!
I was just wondering what this was - GRE written and essay? I thought they had just a computerized testing which has mcq's (atleast when I took the GRE this was the pattern). Did it change since then?

hEY can u tell me how did u apply for ms in prosthodontics...i also want to do ms please share the info....
response appreciated.
thanxs

itsme,

I had taken GRE - math, verbal and analytical about 4 yrs priot to applying, but I had to take the essay part ( Like GMAT) where you write an essay and critique another essay in a given amount of time, on a particular topic.....Only few programs need this....even the program I am in right now do not need it anymore. I had to take it b'coz that is the only program I wanted to get in and I had applied to, but I would never advise anyone to do that. Always apply to as many programs as you can...........

kpat

HI ALL,

Can somebody guide about the other options v have...like MS courses in Public Health , MBA in healthcare management or so....or if v want to get residency in GP dentistry ..in UMDNJ....

Are this options good if u dont get accepted in dental school...

I m really screwed up bcoz of surprise closing of california board...
please guide me..due to unavoidable circumstance i havnt applied to any school....

:confused:

response is appreicated
about ms courses

Originally posted by itsmyworld
HI ALL,

Can somebody guide about the other options v have...like MS courses in Public Health , MBA in healthcare management or so....or if v want to get residency in GP dentistry ..in UMDNJ....

You should do your homework about job availabilty/field for these programs. I mean, what type fo job you could perform with each of these degrees, without having a DDS degree from US. ?

UMDNJ is a rather picky school, someone else asked about it just a few days ago. You're best bet will be to visit the school and find out your options, assuming you don't want to move.

About California.... well you could still find out about Hawaii and Minnesota. Just a thought....

hi guys,
Some of you have mentioned abt your ortho/endo/oms residencies..do u have plans to go back to ur hometown..or do u intend to go thru the DDS once you have finished your respective masters program>>>??(i.e.intend to practice in US?)
if u do intend to practice..in the US...what are the job limitations?Can u perform speciality clinical work without a DDS degree?

Does anybody know about the MS programs in Upenn..how competetive they are..example..the MPH and MHA program.How many seats do they have...and what are the chances of getting into thier school.
(i had interviewed for their PASS program..but unfortunately i was rejected!!:( )
WHat are the places to apply in Philadelphia for MS programs.???

I am planning to take the GRE. to increase my options..how tough is GRE????

GRE is tough, it requires serious preparation for about 1-2 months depending on oneself. and GRE doesnot increase your chances of getting admission. because where it is not mandatory, they dont care if u have GRE and where it is mandatory u have to have a decent score ie. atleast 1200 in Verbal+Quant and 5 or above in analytical writing (essay). In Philadelphia, Temple univ requires GRE for Ortho... very few east coast programs require GRE, most west coast programs require it (i mean, ortho)..

Originally posted by sck
GRE is tough, it requires serious preparation for about 1-2 months depending on oneself. and GRE doesnot increase your chances of getting admission. because where it is not mandatory, they dont care if u have GRE and where it is mandatory u have to have a decent score ie. atleast 1200 in Verbal+Quant and 5 or above in analytical writing (essay). In Philadelphia, Temple univ requires GRE for Ortho... very few east coast programs require GRE, most west coast programs require it (i mean, ortho)..
thnkx a bunch for that ..sck...
:)

hi
about gre it isn't really tough but those word lists and analytical prob take time
u need 2 mnths to get the whole book
about work aftre ms
u get lots of speciality cases and the place i interviewed in did mention that avg earnings are the same as a dds trained dentist
i hope that answers your ques
trust me the prog for ms is extensive and complete in itself
i am really impressed by what i have seen so far
all the best