MS in dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bikki

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi ,
Iam a dentist frim India- bangalore and i want to do my MS in dental in a good subject. Are there good schools in the US that provide MS programs?can i teach/practice after doing MS? What is the scope of MS ?Would appreciate if anyone could give me some info and enlighten me on this. I would like to know the step by step procedure to go ahead.....
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!! Bikki,
I wish i could give u a clear picture ,anyway i will share what i know and u can find more info by checking with dental schools ,which is the best way to go.
As far as i know u will have to do DDS to practice in united states ,MS will be beneficial incase u want to teach in the US.
Many dental schools require u to be DDS inorder to enter into the MS programs. Eligibility requirements also vary from one school to the other.If i were u i would search on the website of a specific school for requirements and then check the lisencing requirements of that particular state. Good luck .
:thumbup:

Thank you Blue fairy! Really appreciate your inputs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi ,
Iam a dentist frim India- bangalore and i want to do my MS in dental in a good subject. Are there good schools in the US that provide MS programs?can i teach/practice after doing MS? What is the scope of MS ?Would appreciate if anyone could give me some info and enlighten me on this. I would like to know the step by step procedure to go ahead.....
Thanks
Hi Bikki,
I m also in the same boat.i too have the same questions.
i m here in us on h4 visa. One of my friend told me that u have to have phd to teach in us.With ms alone u cant become a faculty in a dental college.
With ms u can practice in restricted states that too in ur subject of specialization.
Pls tell me if i m wrong.n do share ur information with me as i m also in the same boat.
plsssss help me v can help eachother.
thanq.

hi bikki, some master programs here in the states can let you practice after their 2yr training program specifically those that are ADA accredited, like endo or orho master programs.
Some other programs are not ADA accredited which means you will have an MS certificate and a speciality certificate and you will be able to teach but you will not be able to get your license( but there are some ways though).
So definetly it is a great idea to join any of those, specially if you like teaching. I believe there are master programs in every dental school, and the one that I know for sure is UI as I got accepted their for an operative master program starting this july.
I hope that can answer some of your questions. Good luck

hi welle.thnks for the info.Does UI stand for univ of Iowa? Can u tell us more about how u went about applying for it and what were yr scores ?I am assuming that you did dentistry fromoutside the states /canada. So did u take the part 1 ,2 of nbde and then apply to the school?please let us know.thnks.

hi yahoo31,
yes it is university of iowa, and what I did was doing some externship with them for some time and also a preceptorship in UCLA which helps a lot as well. Also I had some letters of recommendations from DDS dentists. When I applied, I actually had my part 1 only with a score of 81. Then I had an interviw like 6 months later then :banana:I got my acceptance couple weeks ago...

hi yahoo31,
yes it is university of iowa, and what I did was doing some externship with them for some time and also a preceptorship in UCLA which helps a lot as well. Also I had some letters of recommendations from DDS dentists. When I applied, I actually had my part 1 only with a score of 81. Then I had an interviw like 6 months later then :banana:I got my acceptance couple weeks ago...
Hi welle,
Congratulations on getting acceptence in to the program.
What is preceptorship in UCLA ? is it a research work?
Do UI recquire GRE N TOEFL?
R u alllowed to teach after completion of the course? Do u need to do dds or phd after that in order to teach in US?
And to work in us after completion do u have to go for h1 visa?

pls help me i m verymuch interested in teaching. n now i m preparing for my gre n nbd.

thanks for the info, welle and congrats for getting into the program. how do u get into an externship?do u contact them or do apply for the openings if they r available?

Thank you guys and best wishes for all of you. Well, the best thing to do usually If you contact them yourself, that is a lot better than just waiting for an opening. Walking in to the place is also a smart idea to do. But it is not only about this, you need to have some real interest, some reasonable scores,some sort of experience(assisting, research,CDE cources) and a good CV overall.
They do require toefl of cource but not GRE anymore just boards. After completion you can find a teaching position with what you have but you are also elligeable to take the boards in the branch of dentistry that you went for and that will jump your chances and your salary to a different level. And diffenetly for those who want to go back to their home country, they will easly find their spot in any university.

Thanks for yr inputs Welle,
I have a question. Like what is the range of salary in teaching job?

Hi welle,Bikki,bluefairy,
Well thanks a lot for all ur inforamtion
But no one is clearing my doubts.....No one is giving me an idea...
Pls clear my following doubts

1.After doing MS can i teach here in US? ? If yes then will i get H1 visa?or do i have to do PHD?
2.After doing MS can i practice in us? Or do have to do DDS? OR do i have to take state board exam?

Hi guys and sorry for the late respond.
neena, After getting your MS you can teach here in the states without DDS or PHD. I have a couple of friends that did that program and now they are already working. And of cource if you become board certified or you get your PHD, your job offers will be more as well as your salary.
About the salary, I am not sure how much your start salary will be exactly as it dependes on your experience and your education but I think you are looking at an average of 80 to 90K a year.
About the visa type, I am a permenant resident so I have no idea about this so you better find out.
You can ask me any more questions :thumbup: good luck

Thanks welle for the reply:)........

Hi guys and sorry for the late respond.
neena, After getting your MS you can teach here in the states without DDS or PHD. I have a couple of friends that did that program and now they are already working. And of cource if you become board certified or you get your PHD, your job offers will be more as well as your salary.
About the salary, I am not sure how much your start salary will be exactly as it dependes on your experience and your education but I think you are looking at an average of 80 to 90K a year.
About the visa type, I am a permenant resident so I have no idea about this so you better find out.
You can ask me any more questions :thumbup: good luck
Ok WELLE,
Thanks again for ur help.
I m happy that ppl like u there to help others.

Well i m now preparing for GRE.
Plannin to take nbd also.

I just wanted to confirm that on ms v can teach here. I m verymuch interested in teaching profesion.
now that i have got the answer i better hurry up.

ya i m looking for an average sallary.
Ok thanks once again
I will surely desturb u if i need some mere help.

Congrats welle for the acceptance. I have a question, do they only want part 1 or both , pls let me know.

Thanks