MS/MBA Joint Degrees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xylem29

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get anybody's thoughts on these programs, there are only a few out there, from my preliminary searches, only John Hopkins, Florida, Rochester, UPenn, and Calgary offer this program in North America. The MBA part I believe is completed in 1 year so obviously, it's not the same training you get as the 2 year MBA. Do you think that pharmaceutical/biotech companies value the MBA part of these joint degrees as if it was a regular MBA? I'm aware that MBA training generally will put you in management/executive positions, but I wonder if this joint degree will too, or is it simply preparing us to work in labs/research but have some business background?

Because traditionally, you would have to do a thesis based MSc and then get working experience before you apply to b-school, but with these joint degree programs, you can apply straight from undergrad. You still have to write GRE adn GMAT of course.

Members don't see this ad.

xylem29 said:
Just wanted to get anybody's thoughts on these programs, there are only a few out there, from my preliminary searches, only John Hopkins, Florida, Rochester, UPenn, and Calgary offer this program in North America. The MBA part I believe is completed in 1 year so obviously, it's not the same training you get as the 2 year MBA. Do you think that pharmaceutical/biotech companies value the MBA part of these joint degrees as if it was a regular MBA? I'm aware that MBA training generally will put you in management/executive positions, but I wonder if this joint degree will too, or is it simply preparing us to work in labs/research but have some business background?

Because traditionally, you would have to do a thesis based MSc and then get working experience before you apply to b-school, but with these joint degree programs, you can apply straight from undergrad. You still have to write GRE adn GMAT of course.

If you can get into Wharton MBA (or any top ten school) you have a better chance of landing a job in the pharmaceutical industry than any combined MBA/MS degree, in my opinion. I'm sure the Penn one would open some doors, but not as many as the regular MBA. The others' MBA programs perhaps have some clout regionally, but are lower ranked (ranking is important in the MBA world) and probably are not that well known programs in the regions with the most pharmaceutical companies (eg. NJ). But this is my admittedly uniformed opinion.

Law2Doc said:
If you can get into Wharton MBA (or any top ten school) you have a better chance of landing a job in the pharmaceutical industry than any combined MBA/MS degree, in my opinion. I'm sure the Penn one would open some doors, but not as many as the regular MBA. The others' MBA programs perhaps have some clout regionally, but are lower ranked (ranking is important in the MBA world) and probably are not that well known programs in the regions with the most pharmaceutical companies (eg. NJ). But this is my admittedly uniformed opinion.

When I was at Penn last year, I had several friends who completed a combined MS/MBA degree in two years. They did a full 2-year regular Wharton MBA plus a MS in biotechnology during their "free" time. I think they were trying to close loopholes that allowed students to do both degrees in only 2 years, and obviously it was a lot of extra work in addition to the full-time MBA, but I heard good things. Obviously it was a great combo for those without a strong science background who knew they wanted to be working in the business of health care.

Members don't see this ad :)
bluejay68 said:
When I was at Penn last year, I had several friends who completed a combined MS/MBA degree in two years. They did a full 2-year regular Wharton MBA plus a MS in biotechnology during their "free" time. I think they were trying to close loopholes that allowed students to do both degrees in only 2 years, and obviously it was a lot of extra work in addition to the full-time MBA, but I heard good things. Obviously it was a great combo for those without a strong science background who knew they wanted to be working in the business of health care.

So wharton is a top ten school? It looks like that this would be the best school for the joint program right now then. I just checked the site, you earn a regular wharton MBA.

xylem29 said:
So wharton is a top ten school? It looks like that this would be the best school for the joint program right now then. I just checked the site, you earn a regular wharton MBA.

Yes, Wharton is up there. Also, don't forget the "s" in JohnS Hopkins. I was there for undergrad and we hate it when people forget that. Hopkins is very stong in the sciences/health, but their business education offerings are relatively new without much of a track record, so I'm not sure how highly potential employers would value a Hopkins MBA. Penn is well established in both science/health care and business, so it's a great place for a combo degree.