MS or PhD during Graduate Medical Education (Residency/Fellowship)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hirschprung

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy!

I'm an international medical graduate fresh out of medical school. I was wondering if it would be possible to do an MS or PhD during residency or fellowship training. I'm aware of the APSA website and some of the other threads on this forum but I was looking for something that may not necessarily be an integral part of the residency or fellowship degree itself. As an IMG, the prospects for entering into a regular residency or fellowship are much higher for me than a research-track-residency or fellowship.

I've no prior BS/MS/PhD education. Went to med school straight out of high school.

I'm interesting in a long term career in academic medicine and research. Was wondering if it would be possible to pursue MS/PhD training in:
  1. Mathematical biology
  2. Computational biology
  3. Systems biology
  4. Molecular biology
in addition to the clinical residency/fellowship. What would be the best way to go about it? Are there part time courses available? It doesn't matter if I'll have to pursue part of this training once I'm done with fellowship.

I'm looking to develop a rigorous understanding in these areas, rather than get bogged down by a one-off, half-baked research study as part of some random research-track-residency year. I think I'm much more comfortable with the formal teaching method than a research-track-residency or fellowship.

Any links to resources would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
the option left is to apply for phd after residency/fellowship. U say it doesnt matter if u have to pursue part of the training after fellowship-lets be serious here...most of the training will have to be after your residency/fellowship. If u want a strong research degree it isnt something u just do parttime at same time as a rigorous residency program

PS: The research track u do 2 years of Internal Medicine and then for the next 3 years you spend 80% of your time doing hardcore basic science research. If u want a PHD u can negotiate to top up- it isnt always automatic. It isnt easy anyway for an IMG to get into the Research track. And in your case it doesnt look like u have a prior strong research record

the option left is to apply for phd after residency/fellowship. U say it doesnt matter if u have to pursue part of the training after fellowship-lets be serious here...most of the training will have to be after your residency/fellowship. If u want a strong research degree it isnt something u just do parttime at same time as a rigorous residency program

PS: The research track u do 2 years of Internal Medicine and then for the next 3 years you spend 80% of your time doing hardcore basic science research. If u want a PHD u can negotiate to top up- it isnt always automatic. It isnt easy anyway for an IMG to get into the Research track. And in your case it doesnt look like u have a prior strong research record

Just to reiterate a point- you will have a hard time getting into a research-track residency BECAUSE you have little prior experience. Why would a program spend $$ to take a chance on you (and give up taking other, more deserving candidates)- when you have no idea of what you are getting into?

If you really know this is what you want to do, the typical approach by IMGs is to do a post-doc before starting residency (maybe 1-2 years) or do a straight-up PhD before residency. Then you will definitely know what you are getting into.