MS/PhD in Pathology.. Would it be better to study bio/microbio instead?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jungjh9001

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about going to graduate school as pathology "major."
However, I realized that if I get PhD or MS in pathology, I cannot read tissues or look at slides. (I wouldn't be able to do clinical tasks as pathologist..)
(In order to do this, I will have to go to medical school and get MD.. Even though medical school seems very nice, I don't think that is what I want to do)
If I get PhD or MS, I will be able to work in labs or industries as a researcher.
However, I'm not really sure if this will be worth it..
If I want to get PhD or MS, I will have to spend another 5~6 years studying, and by the time I graduate, I will be near my 30's and I will probably have a lot of loans taken out.
When you put job outlook and salary into perspective, would it be better to get PhD/MS in biology/microbiology or pathology?
(what is median salary for pathologist with PhD or MS?)
What would be the better "major" to work in pharmaceutical companies (or other industries..)
I have seen many people with PhD in science related field struggling to get a job..
I'm concerned that I will have to worry about similar things after I finish graduate school.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.