MS student, new to PreMed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrozenTexan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently decided to go to med school, but I don't know how realistic my chances are. I have an undergrad GPA of 3.68, a sGPA of 3.75. I doubled majored in Biology and in Chemistry. I haven't taken the MCAT yet (planning on taking it in the spring). I have a MS in Organic Chemistry from a top 5 school in the field (with a GPA of 3.60), where I studied protein protein interactions.

I don't have much E.C.'s since I'm still working in my MS lab, but I'm going to start shadowing and Volunteering next month.

I'm a Texas resident, and would like to stay in state if that improves my outlook.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

To sum it up...

1. Your GPAs are good
2. You need volunteering, shadowing, and tutoring (you mentioned 2/3)
3. Medical schools wont really care about the MS or which undergrad/grad school you went to
4. MCAT, get at least a 32

Overall, I think you'll definitely get accepted in state, and some out-of-state if you sure up your EC's

Ion, are you in med school? You seem to give a lot of advice out.

I personally think you have a great shot provided you do good on the MCAT and volunteer at a hospital from now till when you apply. The shadowing is great too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've got the tutoring covered I tutored for several years in undergrad. Also I've taught Gen Chem 1 and 2 labs, Physics 1 and 2 labs, Orgo 1 and 2 labs for two different universities.

I also am planning on teaching high school chemistry next year during the application cycle.

Your GPA is good...competitive

The MS in a nice extra....

right now, you need to get volunteering going for 3-4hr/wk with patient contact....biggest hole I see!! Work the shadowing in too.....

MCAT score of 30+ and you will be okay for Tx as long as you work on the ECs some!!

To sum it up...

1. Your GPAs are good
2. You need volunteering, shadowing, and tutoring (you mentioned 2/3)
3. Medical schools wont really care about the MS or which undergrad/grad school you went to
4. MCAT, get at least a 32

Overall, I think you'll definitely get accepted in state, and some out-of-state if you sure up your EC's

Schools will look favorably at the MS...but it will not make up for a low undergrad GPA.

For Tx, OP can get a lower MCAT....30+

Clincal experience (work, volunteer, etc), volunteering, and shadowing are first....then research, tutor, etc.

Ion, are you in med school? You seem to give a lot of advice out.

I personally think you have a great shot provided you do good on the MCAT and volunteer at a hospital from now till when you apply. The shadowing is great too.

No...they need a little work before advising...I read and watched for years....

not bad..but not totally correct either! based on what is dished on here as "average" or needed to be competitive....

We can only speculate on what has been seen and known....there are plenty of exceptions...!

I just try to give the best info I can to make someone competitive as they can get!!

Last edited:
Besides what's been mentioned, a Leadership activity is nice to see as well. Also, do you have any nonmedical Community Service to list, considering your nontraditional status? Your Research will be fine and your Teaching well above average.

However, if you're applying next cycle, and have no clinical experience at all, that means you'll have 6 months of involvement by June. That will be rather sparse relative to your competition. Do you have any other activity that would suggest a longer term interest in medicine? The average applicant has about a year and a half of activities showing they explored this career option..

No...they need a little work before advising...I read and watched for years....

not bad..but not totally correct either! based on what is dished on here as "average" or needed to be competitive....

We can only speculate on what has been seen and known....there are plenty of exceptions...!

I just try to give the best info I can to make someone competitive as they can get!!

This post makes very little sense...

heh cuz ure slightly new to WAMC urself :oops:

How often you post in this forum says nothing about how good your advice is. I said some very generic things that no one would disagree with. Ion stated a couple things as fact that really aren't: 1) that OP needs to tutor, 2) that med schools don't care about advanced degrees, 3) that med schools don't care about your undergrad/grad schools. Those are up for debate. This is an ambiguous process...people need to express that in their posts.

How often you post in this forum says nothing about how good your advice is. I said some very generic things that no one would disagree with. Ion stated a couple things as fact that really aren't: 1) that OP needs to tutor, 2) that med schools don't care about advanced degrees, 3) that med schools don't care about your undergrad/grad schools. Those are up for debate. This is an ambiguous process...people need to express that in their posts.

thats why you completely misunderstood jdub....

:rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 user
Seeing as how OP mentioned that s/he is working in a lab, I don't think research will be much of a problem!

If you're considering applying MD/PhD, which given your background sounds like a definite option, the unwritten requirements for clinical ECs are a bit relaxed (but you should still get some experience). If you want to apply straight MD, you should definitely start working on clinical experience now.

This post makes very little sense...

Ion is not in med school. I used "they" since I dont know if a guy/gal.....

Ion's assessment was not bad. Just not totally correct...(see the post where I addressed that to Ion)

I give advice on what has been reported on here for some time and there is always a chance it is off because we speculate based on what has worked before and "averages". There are always exceptions....I just try to give the best advice I can....

Understand that....:thumbup:

I figured you were smart enough to make sense of it....sorry!! :rolleyes:

Come and advise if you want.....we would welcome the help!! :)

Ion is not in med school. I used "they" since I dont know if a guy/gal.....

Ion's assessment was not bad. Just not totally correct...(see the post where I addressed that to Ion)

I give advice on what has been reported on here for some time and there is always a chance it is off because we speculate based on what has worked before and "averages". There are always exceptions....I just try to give the best advice I can....

Understand that....:thumbup:

I figured you were smart enough to make sense of it....sorry!! :rolleyes:

Come and advise if you want.....we would welcome the help!! :)

yesh... i was not saying ur advice sucks beause u dunt frequent wamc... i was saying that u did not see that u and dubby were on hte same page:oops:

Reactions: 1 user