MS1 Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WillburCobb

I am the pull out king
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I just received an offer from an MS3 at my school for the following books:

-Grant's Dissector; Patrick W. Tank (14th edition)

-Histology; Michael H. Ross (6th edition)

-Physiology; Linda Costanzo (4th edition)

-Biochemistry; Harvey (5th edition)

-Janeway's Immunobiology (7th edition)

--Neuroscience; Dale Purves et al (4th edition)

-Concise Text of Neuroscience; Robert E. Kingsley (2nd edition)

-Neuroanatomy though Clinical Cases; Blumenfeld (2nd edition)

-Neuroanatomy: an atlas of structures, sections, and systems; Haines (8th edition)

-Robbins and Cotran: Review of Pathology (3rd edition)

-Clinical Microbiology made ridiculously simple (5th edition)

A few are free and the rest are between $5-15 and all in good condition. Just wondering if anyone has any comments or suggestions about any of them, and if its worth just buying/taking them all. Also, wondering if I should hold off on the ones that are older editions.

Members don't see this ad.

Skip the really old editions. They're all good books to have.

Reactions: 1 user
if it is a really great group discount go for it. Otherwise buy as you go.

Members don't see this ad :)
$50 is probably worth it. Even though you'll probably end up using none of them, you can almost definitely sell them back for at least as much as you paid originally.

With the exception of Concise Text of Neuroscience, I've read them all. Granted, Purves and Janeway were in undergrad :p

It really is dependent on the school you go to. Some do a great job of teaching, so you never (or rarely) ever need supplementary materials. I've heard others don't do as great of a job, so you may need more supplements.

If I were you, I would avoid buying books when you don't even know what you're going to need. Just because they are from upperclassmen doesn't mean they'll actually be useful at your school. The person that is selling them might have never even used some of them, but just bought them when he/she was in your current position.

Reactions: 1 user
Grant's is good if that's the dissector you use in anatomy. Janeway's Immunology is the standard immunology text. The Costanzo physio book is also good, though I prefer the BRS version (also written by Costanzo) since it's shorter and easier to digest. Clinical Microbio is a staple review text for micro.

Buy none of those books. Get an anatomy atlas and that's about it

If you're a book learner, then I'd say go for it, sounds like a great deal as long as they aren't highlighted/underlined like no tomorrow.

I am a book person. I only had one class in undergrad where I didn't regularly use the text. I talked to some MS2s and MS4s and based on that, I just went with Grant's (my school uses it), the histo text, Janeway, Haines, the biochem review book, and Clinical Microb. They're all in near perfect condition and it only cost $10.

I am a book person. I only had one class in undergrad where I didn't regularly use the text. I talked to some MS2s and MS4s and based on that, I just went with Grant's (my school uses it), the histo text, Janeway, Haines, the biochem review book, and Clinical Microb. They're all in near perfect condition and it only cost $10.

$10? Nice. Just remember, med school is different than undergrad in that they give you basically all of the information that they want you to know (or at least that's how mine is), so I personally would only use a textbook as a supplement if you don't understand something because they are going to test you over what they tell you, and not what's in a textbook that you read. Ideally, the two wouldn't contradict each other, but you'd be surprised how often it actually happens. I think it would take too much time to study the school's material and also read everything from a textbook.

^This. But I think the concept of class handouts/notes/course packets/detailed syllabi etc. is just hard to grasp until you actually start M1 and see the 100s of such pages provided by your faculty for each class. Hence the large interest in buying textbooks before starting...and the disbelief when one is told to wait.

Just the natural continuation of the undergrad learning mode. Was there too, so I understand :p

Last edited:
Grant's is good if that's the dissector you use in anatomy. Janeway's Immunology is the standard immunology text. The Costanzo physio book is also good, though I prefer the BRS version (also written by Costanzo) since it's shorter and easier to digest. Clinical Microbio is a staple review text for micro.
Funny, I thought BRS was too short and outlineish. I needed the longer Physiology Costanzo text to actually understand physiology. Of course, rote memorization tends to be my stronger suit than application, so there's that.