MS1 Dating a 1st Year Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OBGYN2010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this weird? Four years apart, and sometimes I feel like there is too much of an age difference...what do you guys think? Do you know of any medical couples who are 4+ yrs apart?

Members don't see this ad.

No, but it might be a bit weirder if they started dating only after the M1 started school.

Try this one...My boyfriend and I have been dating for 2 and a half years now. When I'm a 1st year resident he'll be an M1. Oh yeah, he's currenly 26 and I'm soon to be 24.

Point being, there are all sorts of people out there and judging isn't good.

Don't worry about it!
My girlfriend and I are the same age (36). She has been out of her residency (radiology) for 5 years. This fall, I'll be an MS1. On the serious upside, it is really nice being with someone who has "been there, done that". They already know that you won't have much extra time for the next few years, and you won't have to hear "You just don't spend as much time with me as you used to!"
On the downside (if there is one), there is the potential to feed on each other's obsessive, type-A personalities.

Members don't see this ad :)
i have 2 classmates who were both married to docs during our M1 year. 1 wife was a first year resident, another wife was an attending. Wasn't weird at all.

I think the most important factor is the age difference. Although, residents are known to prey upon the med students and nurses, so be aware of that.

OBGYN2010 said:
Is this weird? Four years apart, and sometimes I feel like there is too much of an age difference...what do you guys think? Do you know of any medical couples who are 4+ yrs apart?

If weren't dating before you got to med school watch out when the next wave of M1s come in...Its like undergrad college all over again and you're the freshman...stupid, young and easy.