MS1 lost and confused -- did I make a mistake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Lizzie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you guys do it? I'm so overwhelmed. We have mandatory attendance at my school so I'm there every day from 8-5 or 6 some days. When I get home, the last thing I want to do is read over the material. I'm so burnt out already. Sometimes I even phase out during lecture and just can't stand to pay attention for a full 4-5 hours in a row. I don't know what to do. I feel too behind to even get caught up and I have my first exam coming in two weeks.

Is anyone else out there feeling like I am?

Members don't see this ad.

Mandatory attendance is horrible, but just because you are there, doesn't mean you can't put in headphones and study in the corner. Med school can be extremely hard. The hardest part is finding what works for you. Once you figure out the best way to attack classes, it will get much easier. I was freaked out the whole first 2 months in MSI. After that, it was almost easy.

Agreed. Mandatory attendance even means you can sleep if you want - you just have to be physically present. Find some good websites (there are a slew of them listed on these forums - a quick search should help you out), and do your own thing. they just say where you have to do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you guys do it? I'm so overwhelmed. We have mandatory attendance at my school so I'm there every day from 8-5 or 6 some days. When I get home, the last thing I want to do is read over the material. I'm so burnt out already. Sometimes I even phase out during lecture and just can't stand to pay attention for a full 4-5 hours in a row. I don't know what to do. I feel too behind to even get caught up and I have my first exam coming in two weeks.

Is anyone else out there feeling like I am?

You need to learn to sit in the back of the room; put on earphones (ear buds work great for this) and study while lecture is going on. You can tape the current lecture while you are studying something else. If you develop this skill (like studying on the wards), you can get a head-start on your review and then complete the tasks that you need to complete, once the day is done.

Just remember that you don't have to sit there with rapt attention from 8-6 every day. You just have to be physically present but mentally, you can be elsewhere. This is a good skill to master because it will make third year that much better.

Also, stop telling yourself that you "can't get it all done". That tends to add to the stress and keeps you from focusing on one the tasks that you have to complete. Tell yourself that you will utilize the day in the manner that works best for you and not because of what some administrator laid out. Only you have complete control over your thoughts. You can put your mind anywhere at any time. Stop "beating up" on yourself for feeling overwhelmed and tell yourself that you will hone a system that will work for you. You can just as easily tell yourself positive things as negative things.

If the lecture turns out to be something that is crucial to you, then pay attention for that one but otherwise, do something else. I had a condenser microphone that plugged into my USB port for recording lectures while I studied something else. I would look up and take a note or two but I often multi-tasked while sitting in class. You just have to move away from the speaker's area so that you don't appear rude.

If you are behind, go to where the class is right now and catch up on the weekend. Don't try to catch up to the class during the week or you may end up further behind. Catch up on the weekends and even get a bit ahead so that you can relax in the middle of the week for a couple of hours. Also, do 30 minutes of aerobic exercise (walking will do) at least three times weekly. This gets rid of stress and makes you more efficient. On one of those walking/running sessions, put on one of your taped lectures and listen. Even better, make your own review tapes and use that time for review while you are working out. Again, multi-tasking is a good skill to hone at this point in your career.

It is perfectly understandable to feel overwhelmed in the first few weeks of class. Eventually, you settle into a routine that works for you. I can tell you that you wouldn't be sitting in a medical school seat if you didn't have the potential (or ability) to get through the curriculum. Sure, mandatory class attendance is a bummer but adapt to the bummer and make the system work for you. You are going to have to do this for the rest of your career anyway because medicine changes daily. Think of this time as good practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
omg mandatory attendance. you have got to be kidding me!! That is pure torture. just because people learn in different fashion. some l ike lecture and some dread it. My friend who is a neurologist now, NEVER ABSOLUTELY NEVER STEPPED FOOT into classroom except for pbl and labs. If he had mandatory attendance he would not have graduated. He would have quit school. I personally would not be able to deal with mandatory attendance either.

Yup, as others have said, just because you have to be at your lecture doesn't mean your mind has to be there. Bring headphones and a laptop and do whatever you want.

Mandatory lecture here too, and its pretty damn useless, especially gross lecture. I just try to write down the muscle names, fascia, etc so it can be looked up later.

Unfortionately we also have assigned seating, so sitting way in the back isn't an option. Makes it look real bad when the professors walk around the room and see you working on something else entirely.

Mandatory lecture here too, and its pretty damn useless, especially gross lecture. I just try to write down the muscle names, fascia, etc so it can be looked up later.

Unfortionately we also have assigned seating, so sitting way in the back isn't an option. Makes it look real bad when the professors walk around the room and see you working on something else entirely.

Wow, I sincerely feel bad for you mandatory lecture people. :(

That is ridiculous. I would drop that school from my applications on the spot. I just can't learn sitting in the front of the room (and I can't ignore them either).

It's a huge adjustment to start med school. I was soooo there a few years ago. Keep at it, put the time in with studying, and focus on adjusting. It will take a while to get used to your new schedule... it even takes months for some. Know that it will get better and easier to do the work and even do well.

And your problem is what? What are they going to do with you? A professor can't eat you so as long as your system works for you, what's their problem? Make whatever system adjust for you. If they walk around in the room, look up and smile. When they walk away, do whatever you want. Believe me, nothing looks worse than a failure on an exam. Do what you need not to fail and let the professor figure out "what looks real bad".

Damn, that sounds horrible, I'm sorry mate.
-Roy

And your problem is what? What are they going to do with you? A professor can't eat you so as long as your system works for you, what's their problem? Make whatever system adjust for you. If they walk around in the room, look up and smile. When they walk away, do whatever you want. Believe me, nothing looks worse than a failure on an exam. Do what you need not to fail and let the professor figure out "what looks real bad".

Agreed. I had a professor notice that I wasn't in class and it definitely annoyed him but it was better than failing a test. I'm not an auditory learner at all and my grades skyrocketed when I stopped attending. I calmly explained that it was nothing against him but I learn much more efficiently when I can draw and write and talk to myself and he seemed ok with it (though still a little miffed). I'd rather have him think badly of me but pass his course rather than have him love me and see me again next year. You won't be getting recommendations from preclinical professors anyway what they think of you is really really minor in comparison to your ability to pass those tests.

OP - I am two weeks in now as well and I've never felt more overwhelmed with material in my life. I feel many of the same emotions that you are right now but when the times get hard, I remind myself that they picked us for a reason and that they have full confidence that we'll turn out to be great physicians.

Med school can be overwhelming at times. For some, the first 2 years are the worst. For others, third year does them in. Regardless, you will need to find ways to adjust to your new situation. Just don't give up. Ask for help often. Stick close to people who will support you. Good luck.