HopefulDoctor28

2+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey everyone,

I just finished my first semester of MS1 year and I started out rough. Our curriculum is broken into blocks and, while we had 3 blocks this semester, I failed the first block. For the other two blocks I pulled off A's but the first block was just me trying to figure out how to study in med school. I'd been out of school for a while but I know any excuses don't matter. Due to failing my first block, I'll have to do a remediation course over the summer. In addition, I was also informed that it will get mentioned on my transcript and Dean's Letter.

So the big question is have I ruined my chances for Derm and any other competitive residency just by this initial failure? Even if I was to maintain a good record from here onwards?

Any insight is appreciated!

About the Ads

BacktotheBasics

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I know you’re asking for a “rule out” opinion but I think you haven’t done anything to show you’re viable for dermatology yet. Yes, your MSPE remark will not bode well, but it can be overcome if we assume you can proceed to be at the top of your class, ace your board exams, honor your clerkships, while doing dermatology research on the side. Seems like a strange assumption to make when you’ve already failed part of a course and need remediation, but we don’t know the exact situation so I can’t really say no.

Last edited:

ChymeofPassion

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
People talking about board scores, I assume that means Step 2?

Reactions: 1 user

Kardio

2+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

I’ve noticed that C/O 2024 is the only cohort to really internalize P/F Step 1. At my school, our second years still talk to us like Step 1 is king.

Reactions: 1 users

BacktotheBasics

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)

Fair, Step 2 CK will mean double. If a residency doesn't like that method, class rank will substitute for Step 1. If your school doesn't rank because they think they're too awesome and anyone they admit is amazing, then prestige will basically substitute for Step 1.

For the record I think P/F Step 1 was a good idea. I just think there is more to be done and this awkward intermediate we are in is not ideal.

HopefulDoctor28

2+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Thanks everyone for your replies! I'm not really explicitly saying Derm is all I want to do but I would have liked to keep my options open come 3rd and 4th year for the Match. Does anyone know of anyone in a similar position who had to remediate a class but ended up matching well in a competitive specialty/to a strong program?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads