MS1 Summer - Want to improve my CV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

celkon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I want to improve my CV so I can look more competitive when I apply for residency. What can I do my first summer to help with this? Should I do research or look for a summer "program" to participate in. I am interested in ortho.

Members don't see this ad.

Some may think this sounds funny, but I would get a job. Something unrelated to medicine. Wait tables, tend bar, caddy, anything that gets you out of the hospital and working with real people. It shows you are a well rounded person, and that you didn't get through life and school without ever having to work for it.

It would also help to start getting to know some of the important faculty in the department you are interested in. You can set up shadowing opportunities during the summer of your MS1 year, and of any interesting cases come up, offer to write one up for a case report.

Just my opinion!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would do something that is productive, but also something you enjoy. I'm traveling to India to do a global health program in infectious diseases. For me, that kills two birds with one stone: it's something that is educational and worth putting on my CV, and it also satisfies my urge to travel abroad and experience new cultures.

I did research last summer and did not enjoy it. If that's not your cup of tea then don't feel obligated to spend your summer doing that. You're going to be a clinician, not a scientist (at least for most of us).

Does your school have a program to help you get grants for summer research fellowships? That's a good place to start.

I want to travel somewhere and do something cool, still haven't made up my mind (Which probably means not going anywhere except dingy research labs in the bowels of the hospital)

I would do something that you believe is worth your time, that you enjoy, and will give you some type of experience in something you're interested in. If you like research, go for it. If you don't like research, it may not be worth it for you.

You should hurry though, because most deadlines have already happened or are happening really soon for summer programs.

I would do something that is productive, but also something you enjoy. I'm traveling to India to do a global health program in infectious diseases. For me, that kills two birds with one stone: it's something that is educational and worth putting on my CV, and it also satisfies my urge to travel abroad and experience new cultures.

I did research last summer and did not enjoy it. If that's not your cup of tea then don't feel obligated to spend your summer doing that. You're going to be a clinician, not a scientist (at least for most of us).

Hey clifftacopter...if you don't mind, can i ask you what program that is? i am interested in global ID and would love to go to india for summer...i am not much into research and want to do something clinically related to ID. this way, i can still progress towards what i ultimately might end up doing while experiencing the richness of indian culture. if you prefer, you could also send me a pm. thanks!

Research.

Nothing looks better on a CV/application than a publication or a poster. It gets listed like an academic citation, which just looks better than any volunteer opportunity.

Research.

Nothing looks better on a CV/application than a publication or a poster. It gets listed like an academic citation, which just looks better than any volunteer opportunity.

x2

Sometimes you just have to suck it up and do the research. Especially for competitive programs...

asdf

Last edited:
Some may think this sounds funny, but I would get a job. Something unrelated to medicine. Wait tables, tend bar, caddy, anything that gets you out of the hospital and working with real people. It shows you are a well rounded person, and that you didn't get through life and school without ever having to work for it.

It would also help to start getting to know some of the important faculty in the department you are interested in. You can set up shadowing opportunities during the summer of your MS1 year, and of any interesting cases come up, offer to write one up for a case report.

Just my opinion!

May be a lot easier said than done. Most places don't want to hire a bartender or caddy for 6-8 weeks, they want you for the whole summer. Even if you find something, it will definitely not help you with residency applications. Its only benefit will be getting you some extra cash. You honestly think a program director is going to see that you were a bartender and think that will make you a better resident? No.

Hey everyone, I want to improve my CV so I can look more competitive when I apply for residency. What can I do my first summer to help with this? Should I do research or look for a summer "program" to participate in. I am interested in ortho.

For most people, it doesn't matter. They can do research if they are thinking about big name programs. Barring that, they can get a job and save a few bucks or do something enjoyable. For someone like you going into ortho, you need to do research, period. You don't have to do it this summer, but then you better have a plan to get some done during third or early fourth year. This is unscheduled time which will be a good opportunity to get involved in some projects in your school's ortho department. Hopefully you can keep working even after the summer and get some publications out of it in time for your residency applications.

May be a lot easier said than done. Most places don't want to hire a bartender or caddy for 6-8 weeks, they want you for the whole summer. Even if you find something, it will definitely not help you with residency applications. Its only benefit will be getting you some extra cash. You honestly think a program director is going to see that you were a bartender and think that will make you a better resident? No.

Umm...actually yes, I do think program directors care, because I just came of the interview trail and every single one of them pointed out that on my application, the fact that I had professional work experience (and yes, it was bartending, waiting tables, and playing music) stuck out on my application and was certainly considered as a major positive. Of course you have to have research bases covered (admittedly, I have a MS and a PhD, so I didn't have to do some BS lab rotation during the summer to check off the box that says I did some meaningless research). I was not suggesting that he not do some research in medical school...it is a prerequisite for applying to a competitive field. What I am saying is that "everyone and their mom," as the previous poster so eloquently posted, will have some crap case report or some poster or whatever. Not everyone has actually worked a job, supported themselves, and been in the world outside of medicine for more than a holiday break. Those things matter to programs, at least that was my experience in applying for a competitive field (ENT).

Bottom line...of course you should get some research under your belt, however you can be involved in research while you are a M1-M2, and you can also be involved during the summer, and STILL hold down a job doing something you enjoy outside of medicine.

Like I said, it's not the most common opinion, but I know it helped me tremendously, and not with just applications. It's healthy to get out of the hospital.

Just my .02.
-G