MS1, UG loans inelligible for deferment, what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1/2asser

slang'n beint
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I start med school in the fall. My sallie mae loans from undergrad (private and federal) automatically go into deferment if i'm a full time student. however, i also have loans serviced through AES (american education services?) and they are not giving me a deferment. I can't make monthly payments on my 'in school' budget. anyone else in a similar situation? i assume i should take out a grad loan and pay the AES loans off in full (~40k), i'm guessing any grad loan will remain in deferment until graduation. any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I start med school in the fall. My sallie mae loans from undergrad (private and federal) automatically go into deferment if i'm a full time student. however, i also have loans serviced through AES (american education services?) and they are not giving me a deferment. I can't make monthly payments on my 'in school' budget. anyone else in a similar situation? i assume i should take out a grad loan and pay the AES loans off in full (~40k), i'm guessing any grad loan will remain in deferment until graduation. any suggestions?

That's rough. Good luck to you. Yeah I highly suggest you pay those babies off unless they have a low interest rate (which I doubt since they are private).

What type of loans are they that they don't have in school deferral? Seems like a good cautionary tale for undergrads to avoid those things. I don't know really. You could try to get one of those private loans that let you borrow beyond the cost of attendance and use it pay off the extra loans. It's not at all ideal, but I don't know what you else you could do short of declining your acceptance and waiting until you pay off the loans before going back to school.

Editing to add that you should also talk to your financial aid office to see if there's anything you can do to get your budget increased. They might not be able to do anything, but if they can that'll save you from having to get those above the budget loans.