MS1 wondering when this all comes together....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bonesaw45

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sup People,

I'm sitting here studying enthalpy and Gibbs free energy for the 3rd or 4th time in the last 5 years of school and I find myself wondering when does all of the science come together with the clinical stuff where you start to feel confident in your abilities as a physician. I understand that there is a ton of practice involved between physical exam and the general science that drive the thought process. But I can't help but feel that even though I am doing well and understand all of the material it means "diddley poo" (to quote football great Jim Mora) when I consider that these grades now have no bearing on my ability as a clinician. Dunno if this is a question with a hard and fast answer, but I would be happy to hear people's stories on when they finally "got it" so to speak.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If any of this stuff does come together, it's while studying for step 1. Just take heart and know that anything worth knowing you'll see by repitition, and the rest will be forgotten.

As for Mr. Gibbs, I have no idea why it's included in your MSI curriculum other than perhaps in pharmacology. Just keep jumping through the hoops that need to be jumped through, and eventually you'll get there.

If any of this stuff does come together, it's while studying for step 1.

:thumbup: I think so, too. I'm studying for Step 1 now and all the material I've studied for two years is finally feeling like it's coming together as a coherent whole. This part of board studying is actually quite interesting and fun, the rest, not some much. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Just be patient, and try to learn as much as you can. As dense as some of the M1 stuff gets, the Path and Pharm will come a lot easier if you know the normal anatomy, phys, and pathways cold.

For me bits and pieces come together whenever I can explain two seemingly
unrelated things in clinic using the basic sciences.

For example, why would improper positive pressure mechanical ventilation
cause GI bleeding in a patient?

Incrase in intrathoracic pressure > decreased ventricular pre-load > decreased
cardiac output > gastric mucosal ischemia > GI bleed

Last edited: