MS1 Workflow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted600623

Current MS1 scoring above average on my block tests so far. However, I feel like I'm putting in so much more time than I should be. My current workflow includes doing roughly 300-500 Anki reviews to start the day (all material since day 1 of lecture) and then I progress to watching B&B videos if they are available for the current day's lecture which most of the time they are. However, this is where I feel like I'm just losing so much time. I decided to use the Anking Overhaul deck as my primary deck which is tagged for quite a few B&B videos but not all. So I end up searching for cards related to content in the videos which takes FOREVER. And then I'll go through my lecture syllabus and powerpoint to see if I don't recognize any material, of which I will search for more cards or just make my own.

My question is, should I switch to just using Lightyear for this first semester which consists of the basic sciences along with basic pathology and then transition back to Zanki/Anking for when I get into my systems blocks since those decks are geared towards more clinical material/pathology? I would take step 1 likely at the end of feb-early march because my Curriculum is 18 months instead of 24.

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You could switch to LY. It’ll be sufficient for systems too, and Boards and Beyond is great. You just have to be okay not having a card for every single First Aid fact.

A couple of my buds and I spent lots of time looking at the major decks and transferring cards between the different major deck options, etc. You’ll end up realizing it doesn’t really matter. At the end of the day, just stick to one, commit to the reviews every day, and you’ll be fine. Doing either Zanki/Anking or LY will give you a solid foundation once you start doing question banks. It doesn’t matter which you do, just do it well.

Yeah I’m an M1 as well and my workflow has been lightyear with b&b vids for foundations (basic sciences) in this first semester and been scoring well on in house exams, and then once systems starts I may either switch to Zanki or stick with LY and the b&b videos

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you updated to v4 of Anking Overhaul? Are you using Anking Overhaul recommended settings (for example instead of a card showing up again in 10mins if u get it right it shows up tomorrow, then after that in 4 days)

Since updating to v4 all the cards I need are in Anking Overhaul. And yes, I do use #B&B tag. What you’ll notice is that for some BnB vids, the cards are found in other tags.

For example, bacteria (infectious in LY) is found under the tag #SketchMicro-Lol —> B&B Micro.. idk what its doing there but its there.. then for example say you are doing basic pathology or immunology? Its also there under #FirstAid or #Pathoma...

Basically, I love lightyear and Boards, I even changed my phone and ipad backgrounds to Buzz Lightyear to remind me to study, but the Anking’s Zanki/lolnotacop/pepper/UltraZanki decks are much more comprehensive.

What i did before the v4 Anking update was to use LY for cards i couldnt find under BnB tag. But rn id say u can find everything in you currently Anking.

Another major problem for me was the duplicate cards in LY.. theres a significant amount..

Lastly, please dont unlock more than 50-100 new cards per day.. save whatever is extra to unlock on the weekend. Im currently at 150-200 cards review and im also in foundations right now.

Just keep doing what you're doing. Med school is a grind so the fact that you're putting in the work to do well in your classes is to be expected. I'm sure it'll get easier to switch over to Zanki once the systems block begins.

I actually posed a similar question a few weeks back on this forum and decided to just say f**k it and go balls deep in Zanki. To prepare for the tests, I go over my lecture material and make very concise study guides that cover the learning objectives then put faith in Zanki to drill in the facts. It's been working out pretty well so far and there is more overlap than I thought eventhough I do have to learn a bunch of stuff that we aren't covering.

As an M2, I would do what you suggested. lightyear and Bnb for first year then continue doing your reviews but switch to zanki second year. Zanki is really effective for second year but in my humble opinion it goes over your head in first year and a lot of it won't be tested. Might as well learn the basics with bnb and lightyear.

I was in the same situation at the start of M1. The problem is really more the fact that the first few months of school are the foundations type classes, and its frustrating to coordinate the pre-made decks to those classes. Just keep on doing what you're doing, I was roughly average through foundations and Zanki has been enough to be in the top 10% since systems started

Reactions: 5 users
I was in the same situation at the start of M1. The problem is really more the fact that the first few months of school are the foundations type classes, and its frustrating to coordinate the pre-made decks to those classes. Just keep on doing what you're doing, I was roughly average through foundations and Zanki has been enough to be in the top 10% since systems started

Thank you ! I love the zanki deck because of how thorough it is but you're right, for foundations and basics its way more detail than what is really needed for my in class exams. I think I'll use B&B for the foundations and then continue but use Zanki for systems.