MS1s that HAVE started med school!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i'm getting used to med school, in fact i'm back to my old procrastinating ways (i'm doing this while studying radiographs for our 2nd (2 of 3) anatomy exam.

this is crazy. i am about 1/2 through gross anatomy now. by october 5, i will be done with anatomy!

Members don't see this ad.

I just had my second day of classes. I'm already behind in the reading. I'd better get on the ball.

I'm just kinda curious how much you guys study on a weekly/daily basis?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Gradient Echo
I'm just kinda curious how much you guys study on a weekly/daily basis?

daily? i'd say about 4 hours a day at least.

how are you enjoying bawlmer? which lab are you working in now? i used to work for shadmehr and hunter (who has now left).

Originally posted by oldman
keep up, it'll make test time better.

That's what I'm telling myself. I'm trying to establish a regular routine -- I never studied regularly in college. And I know we aren't in Kansas anymore, Toto.

I just upgraded my computer, :) so hopefully I will be able to post (haven't been ever since they changed to forums).

UCSF is starting really slowly. We're officially 3 days into academics, and we're still spending a lot of time being introduced to what we will be learning. You guys with your anatomy posting sound totally overwhelming, but hopefully in a few weeks I will have some idea of what y'all were spouting.

Right now I'm just hoping that we get more material soon, or it will all come in a rush at the end of the block and I'll drown in the details.

paean,

I think it seems really mellow b/c we haven't really dived in yet. I think once we get to next week it'll be a little more intense. I think once histo and pharm start rolling in things will get a little more fast-paced. So far, I am loving everything. I feel like a kid ina candy store. Sexton Sutherland is awesome! I really enjoyed his lecture. The sponge is basically dry right now..once the information saturates the sponge, then we'll see what it is all about.

Most of these cats are atleast two to three weeks ahead of us. I'm sure that in three weeks we'll be juggling as well.

Peace.

what's up kids? Guess who hasn't started school yet?! woo-hoo!!

Not sure if I can leak this, but shouldn't be any problems.. (famous last words)
The curriculum has continued to evolve, so we don't start anatomy until week 6. Doing histo and some clinical-correlation stuff for october. So like peaen, I'm going 'huh?'

yea, so I've been walking WAY more than I ever had in FL. And have spent part of every day here so far helping someone move in. Which is cool, cause I get a workout AND help a classmate. :)
... Insomniac is on. later!

anatomy lab exam 1 is 7 days from today. then the following monday is 3 hrs of written across all disciplines. yikes.

Originally posted by immediatespring
so in med schools, do you guys have to write papers like in college, or are your grades based on only exma sand maybe attendance? do you have homework?

Grades based on attendance?!!:eek: I wish it were that simple. Grades are based solely on exams and whatever course work you have to do (i.e. searches, projects, etc) Which reminds me. I have two finals on Tuesday. Four hours straight of exams (Genetics Final and Biochemistry Final: each two hours), followed by class and clinical skills. I get out at 6 pm that day!!! I'm going to be so tired by then.:(

Thank goodness that our grades are not based on attendance! I would've failed biochem already.

Canes,
If there is one thing I miss about undergrad., it is that I don't remember ever having an exausting round of TOUGH tests and then having to endure hours more of intense lectures. Although I'm finally starting to like med. school, I still miss the less intense days of undergrad. Oh well....

Members don't see this ad :)
at MN we don't have to go to class at all. all the lectures are recorded and can be watched via the internet.

So what percentage of your class actually shows up at lecture? That sounds like a very interesting setup.

Originally posted by mws99
So what percentage of your class actually shows up at lecture? That sounds like a very interesting setup.

at this point majority for anatomy and embryology (embryo is part of anatomy). the attendance for our physician and society class depends on how close it is to test time.

at MN we don't have to go to class at all. all the lectures are recorded and can be watched via the internet.

We got that same setup here at UMiami (with lectures archived too) AND we got noteservice.:D

yeah we have note co-op too. is urs done by students? drawback is of course waiting for those notes!

personally i like going to lecture.

At Case our entire curriculum is electronic, plus all lectures are taped and are available online. We still get everything that is online on paper, in case students dont want to go online.

At Temple, you get full notes for the classes at the beginning of the semester - some are better than others but they should all be sufficient to at least pass, if that's all you used. Then most profs put extra stuff online...slides from classes for histo and behavioral, audiovisual lectures for embryo, etc. I don't think there's a note taking service, simply because it's not really needed. I'm trying not to think about how much better I might have done in undergrad with this system! :p

And btw, the anatomy notes in particular are amazing. :) I heard Dr. Schneck has received numerous offers to publish, but he hasn't wanted to yet. Lots of clinical correlations and the class hasn't had lectures since the 60's, just conferences that make you want to come prepared (since the profs will ask you questions). I'll never like the labs, but I'd seriously put this class up against the Ivys. :)

Originally posted by sacrament
At OHSU you're expected to attend every lecture (not that they actually take attendance). I haven't been counting heads, but I'd say that very close to 100% of the class shows up every day.

Have you had any finals yet? My class used to show up for class (almost 100% of the class), but as we are drawing near to some finals next week, the attendance as really shrunk. Less than 50% show up...myself included.;)

At OHSU you're expected to attend every lecture (not that they actually take attendance). I haven't been counting heads, but I'd say that very close to 100% of the class shows up every day.

what do you mean by expected to attend? as in they don't give out any lecture notes?

Sounds similar to my school's policy and enforcement. There is only one class where attendance is taken & affects your grade directly (our clinical skills class), but the others require attendance in theory. So far most people are coming, with the exception of our Biochemistry class. (where we spend last Friday having organelles explained to us!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )

I sit at the front so the professors really see my face each day so I'm hesitant to skip out.

I mean you're supposed to attend lecture, as in be physically present in the room at the time. A packet of "notes" is handed out, but they are more like lecture outlines than a comprehensive set of notes to study from.
I don't see the "attend all lectures" rule actually being enforced (nor do I see how it feasibly could be, in a class of 100 people), but the Dean was quite adamant about this during orientation week, even going so far as to say that we need to e-mail the professors if we are going to miss class.

well that sucks. i mean i like going to class, but class doesn't work for all people. i guess at your school they want you to think of class like a job, you go to work every day.

one of my roommate's never goes to class. instead he watches the lectures on his computer and pauses when he needs something clarified, that way if the professor goes too fast, he won't get lost in the material.

I mean you're supposed to attend lecture, as in be physically present in the room at the time. A packet of "notes" is handed out, but they are more like lecture outlines than a comprehensive set of notes to study from.
I don't see the "attend all lectures" rule actually being enforced (nor do I see how it feasibly could be, in a class of 100 people), but the Dean was quite adamant about this during orientation week, even going so far as to say that we need to e-mail the professors if we are going to miss class.

Does this dean think you are in grade school instead of medical school? I mean he's treating you guys like a bunch of kids. You guys are adults and it should be your perogative if you decide to attend lecture or not.

All I know is, I remember having to pay the school a large sum of money. For that I should at least have the option to skip class if I want.

I'm one of those people who learns nothing in class. In fact, for me going to class is terrible time management. My prime study hours are after midnight. If I study till 3am, then have to wake up at 8am to show up to classes where I'll learn nothing, that's called poor time management because that night I won't be able to absorb anything while studying. I'd rather use class time to sleep in and get a good nights rest. It's ironic, but I'll learn a lot more that way.

I guess the facualty look at it as being a bit disrespectful if people don't show up to their class. Human nature I guess, but most of the people in medical school are over 23. They're old enough to know what works for them.

Originally posted by Moleculo
I can't believe some people are gettign ready for finals already. I just completed my first week of class.
slacker ;)

My exam block is officially two weeks away. I really have no idea if my current style of studying has been effective, but I guess there is only one way to find out.:confused:

I can't believe some people are gettign ready for finals already. I just completed my first week of class.

Molec, I just finished my first block/module today. I'm done with the Molecular Biology (or something along that title) module, which consisted of Cell Biology, Biochemistry, and Genetics. I am soooo tired right now (had 4 hours straight of exams this morning). Now, I have to study for a Physiology quiz scheduled for tomorrow morning!:(

Canes2006, when you're in class, are you able to see the FAU students on a monitor at all? Just curious, my old roommate is in that program. He tells me what he can see, but I've never heard what you guys can see on your end.

Goddammed group oral presentations due on the 8th day of class!

massive block exam yesterday and massive anatomy and essay tomorrow-- haulling ass and haven't slept in a while now.

why did i go into medicine again?

Originally posted by Fenrezz
Canes2006, when you're in class, are you able to see the FAU students on a monitor at all? Just curious, my old roommate is in that program. He tells me what he can see, but I've never heard what you guys can see on your end.

Fenrezz,
I can see all the FAU students on a monitor we have on one side of the class. However, I hardly look at it because it is at the front of the class, facing the professor, and I sit all the way in the back. :D

It is pretty funny when they speak in the microphone though. My class always gets a bit flustered when we hear them ask questions suddenly. We often forget that they are even there, so when they suddenly talk to the professor we always look around the class and wonder who's asking the question. Then, we realize that it's coming from the tv monitor. It's pretty funny.;) :laugh:

Why do I always cry in our Art of Medicine course?? Our sessions are so cathartic and the leaders are great and of course the patients are too...but I get so emotional. Anyone else experiencing the roller-coaster of emotions of medical school? From seeing a baby being delivered to dissecting a cadaver to encountering an 84 year old patient who broke down because she has outlived all her friends and family - it's all so exhilarating and so emotionally taxing. I'm still enjoying it all though!

Dude, All my stuff (incl. lab) landed on week 3, which is also when patient interviews, ANES debates, and hardcore studying kick in. I'd love to be getting some of it over with.

Okay, you win. That sucks. But Lab 1 isn't anything more than a waste of two hours.

Originally posted by E'02
Why do I always cry in our Art of Medicine course??

That's easy: cuz, you're a BIG BABY!;) Next question please.

*Canes practices pressing the buzzer quickly to beat anyone on SDN from answering the next question.*:p

Yes, I've been studying alot lately. I tend to get overly cynical and highly sarcastic as the hours without sleep continue to pile up. :D

Does anyone else hate histology? :) I obviously have no future as a pathologist. I just can't take any more looking at slides...

Originally posted by brandonite
Does anyone else hate histology? :) I obviously have no future as a pathologist. I just can't take any more looking at slides...

You might like it better if you had a pt with a yet-unidentified disorder, and were looking at slides of their pathology, trying to figure it out. You know, the whole in context thing.

Histology is the bane of my existence. I have an exam in that and gross anatomy on Monday. Those of you who know me are feeling that pain right along with me ;)

+pissed+ Imagine that not as a computer, but as the Gartner and Hiatt (sp) histo atlas ;)

Here at the University of Arkansas Medical School we just completed a test day today. Huge Biochemistry test followed by a Cell Biology Test.

We are the guinea pigs for an experiment were they compressed Biochemistry into 8 weeks, then added a cell biology course for an 8 week block that we finish before we start Microanatomy and Gross Anatomy.

We just finished our 6th week of the block today. Now we are getting into the HARD part. Next week a 100 point ICM Test, the next Monday a cell biology lab test (basically histology of a few general cells we studied), that Wednesday a test in both Biochemistry and cell biology, then finally the Biochemistry shelf exam that Friday.

It seems that med school is just one big fellowship of shared suffering. Before each test all you hear is "I fell pretty confident that I know the material." After the test it's "I failed, I failed, I failed. I guessed on half the questions."

2 more weeks of biochemistry suffering and it's time to start the hard stuff. Maybe then I'll stop having dreams about G-Coupled 7-Transmembrane Receptors, Receptor Tyrosine Kinases, Receptor Serine Kinases, Jak-Stat, and any of the other signaling pathways I've probably forgotten about!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Kadyra
Histology is the bane of my existence. I have an exam in that and gross anatomy on Monday. Those of you who know me are feeling that pain right along with me ;)

+pissed+ Imagine that not as a computer, but as the Gartner and Hiatt (sp) histo atlas ;)

Kadrya! Where have you been? Crazy girl...how's good 'ol Phoenix/Glendale treating you? I hope you didn't melt this summer.

Originally posted by orthoman5000
Here at the University of Arkansas Medical School we just completed a test day today. Huge Biochemistry test followed by a Cell Biology Test.

We are the guinea pigs for an experiment were they compressed Biochemistry into 8 weeks, then added a cell biology course for an 8 week block that we finish before we start Microanatomy and Gross Anatomy.

We just finished our 6th week of the block today. Now we are getting into the HARD part. Next week a 100 point ICM Test, the next Monday a cell biology lab test (basically histology of a few general cells we studied), that Wednesday a test in both Biochemistry and cell biology, then finally the Biochemistry shelf exam that Friday.

It seems that med school is just one big fellowship of shared suffering. Before each test all you hear is "I fell pretty confident that I know the material." After the test it's "I failed, I failed, I failed. I guessed on half the questions."

2 more weeks of biochemistry suffering and it's time to start the hard stuff. Maybe then I'll stop having dreams about G-Coupled 7-Transmembrane Receptors, Receptor Tyrosine Kinases, Receptor Serine Kinases, Jak-Stat, and any of the other signaling pathways I've probably forgotten about!!!!!!!

I completely understand your biochemistry pain. My course was crammed in 5 weeks!:eek: But, I already wrapped it up this past Tuesday. Man, do I feel great. I had thought I had failed, and it turned out that I past with high 90s on both Biochemistry and Genetics (I had that final on the same day as Biochemistry). I know it sucks right now, but it's almost over for you. Buckle down and study hard for the next two weeks and kick butt on that Biochemistry Final. Then, go out and party all night. There's nothing better than partying after a hard block.:D Good luck! You're almost there!!!!:)

We're just approaching our second exam here. The first one was in Biostats/epidemiology which was a 2 week block (but part of a larger committee -- ICM). We are taking a test in Biochemistry and Histology (histo runs year long) on Monday, and this committee was 4 weeks long.

A little off the subject, but CANES2006, your post made me think of something. Not to belittle you, but how is it that one can think he/she failed a test and then end up with scores in the "high 90's". This is something that I have heard a lot. Does that mean that wild guessing (or even educated) happened to statistically favor you? You had to have known that you were answering most of the questions correctly. To hit in the 90's means you worked hard and knew your stuff. Don't you think?

grumpy

Yeah, you're ******ed Canes. You don't make As (let alone high As) when you think you failed.

/grumpy

Originally posted by merlin
A little off the subject, but CANES2006, your post made me think of something. Not to belittle you, but how is it that one can think he/she failed a test and then end up with scores in the "high 90's". This is something that I have heard a lot. Does that mean that wild guessing (or even educated) happened to statistically favor you? You had to have known that you were answering most of the questions correctly. To hit in the 90's means you worked hard and knew your stuff. Don't you think?

Since you were asking a genuine question and not some bonehead way of stirring up trouble by offending people like another poster did, who shall remain nameless, I'll answer you Merlin. Actually, it turned out that the exam was SUPER hard and many questions were obscure, so they had to toss a big batch of the questions away! This brought up the test scores WAY up. I had thought I had failed the exam at the time because I didn't know half of what was on there. The class and I probably would have failed (or very close to it) had they not thrown those questions out, but of course, they can't fail everyone, so they curved up. Since I did answer more questions correctly than alot of my classmates (and, yes, I took MANY educated answers...you can say that I'm good at multiple choice exams), I scored in the high end of the percentile relative to my class. My point to the original poster was that you should just study hard and let everything fall into place. You may come out of an exam feeling like you did really bad and then surprise yourself with the outcome of it (this happened to me on the MCAT as well, and I am still shocked about my result:D ). The opposite could be said as well. You may come out of an exam feeling like you completely rocked it, and then find out that you didn't do so hot.

It's funny how tired everyone in my class is. The professors are commenting on it. I hope we develop some more endurance soon cause this is merely the beginning.

Throwing out questions (hard or not) is lame. Even if there isn't a correct answer to the question among the choices, throwing the question out is lame...tough it up!