wavecrasher111

2+ Year Member
May 10, 2018
Status
Medical Student
Trying to sort through an immense array of electives to best prepare me for residency/career. I know this has been asked before but wanted some input that is more current if anyone has opinions! I'm thinking definitely ortho, EM, peds EM (lost peds rotation from corona), radiology. Any others that people would recommend? Thank you!

galactus

Devourer of WORLDS
10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2006
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
Family medicine sub-internship. Also some sort of ICU rotation, EM, ortho.

wavecrasher111

2+ Year Member
May 10, 2018
Status
Medical Student
Would you say its important to do the Sub-I prior to when applications go out? I'm a pretty competitive applicant scores-wise

About the Ads

ciestar

All grown up!
5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Definitely do a peds rotation.
i did random electives. I did GI, rads, two peds sub-i’s (i thought i wanted peds lol). I also did a medicine sub-i as my school requires it. I “did” an EM sub-i online.

You really can’t go wrong with your schedule. Any FM curriculum basically includes every specialty under the sun.

Reactions: galactus

cj_cregg

5+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Would you say its important to do the Sub-I prior to when applications go out? I'm a pretty competitive applicant scores-wise
Nope, you'll be fine, unless you need one to get your FM letter!

Def agree to get some peds experience. Peds EM sounds good, I would see if you can maybe do a couple weeks in a peds PCP office to see some well child checks...especially if you don't have kids of your own, seeing how pediatricians counsel parents about routine kid stuff can be really helpful (is my baby pooping too much? why is my potty trained kid still wetting the bed? how can I get my toddler to stop being such a picky eater? etc).

A couple other thoughts on potentially useful rotations-
- Ortho might be good but particularly if it's more office based vs OR - learn good joint exams, see the stuff that gets referred from a PCP's office, learn some procedures like joint injections, casting, and splinting. Might also see if there's a sports medicine guy/lady around as well which would probably get you more of those things vs an ortho rotation where you're spending lots of time in the OR
- Palliative care - learning to deliver bad news, discuss goals of care, etc....cannot recommend this enough
- Derm - figure out what rashes are, learn some procedures, e.g. skin biopsies
- Office-based gyn (again, procedures - paps, IUDs, nexplanons, colpos...)
- Point of care ultrasound, if your school has this
- Any bread and butter area you feel weak in (endocrine, cardio, etc)
- Developmental peds - recognize what a "normal" kid looks like and when there might be something else going on

Reactions: PunkRockMD

Moose A Moose

10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You’re gonna be fine no matter how the chips fall. Consider a pediatrics elective. Can’t go wrong with ICU.

About the Ads