• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

MS3 applying FM planning 4th year schedule, elective advice?

wavecrasher111

2+ Year Member
May 11, 2018
  1. Medical Student
    Trying to sort through an immense array of electives to best prepare me for residency/career. I know this has been asked before but wanted some input that is more current if anyone has opinions! I'm thinking definitely ortho, EM, peds EM (lost peds rotation from corona), radiology. Any others that people would recommend? Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
    About the Ads

ciestar

All grown up!
    7+ Year Member
  • Sep 18, 2013
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      Definitely do a peds rotation.
      i did random electives. I did GI, rads, two peds sub-i’s (i thought i wanted peds lol). I also did a medicine sub-i as my school requires it. I “did” an EM sub-i online.

You really can’t go wrong with your schedule. Any FM curriculum basically includes every specialty under the sun.

cj_cregg

7+ Year Member
      Jul 25, 2014
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        Would you say its important to do the Sub-I prior to when applications go out? I'm a pretty competitive applicant scores-wise
        Nope, you'll be fine, unless you need one to get your FM letter!

Def agree to get some peds experience. Peds EM sounds good, I would see if you can maybe do a couple weeks in a peds PCP office to see some well child checks...especially if you don't have kids of your own, seeing how pediatricians counsel parents about routine kid stuff can be really helpful (is my baby pooping too much? why is my potty trained kid still wetting the bed? how can I get my toddler to stop being such a picky eater? etc).

A couple other thoughts on potentially useful rotations-
        - Ortho might be good but particularly if it's more office based vs OR - learn good joint exams, see the stuff that gets referred from a PCP's office, learn some procedures like joint injections, casting, and splinting. Might also see if there's a sports medicine guy/lady around as well which would probably get you more of those things vs an ortho rotation where you're spending lots of time in the OR
        - Palliative care - learning to deliver bad news, discuss goals of care, etc....cannot recommend this enough
        - Derm - figure out what rashes are, learn some procedures, e.g. skin biopsies
        - Office-based gyn (again, procedures - paps, IUDs, nexplanons, colpos...)
        - Point of care ultrasound, if your school has this
        - Any bread and butter area you feel weak in (endocrine, cardio, etc)
        - Developmental peds - recognize what a "normal" kid looks like and when there might be something else going on

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.