MS3 deciding to shoot for Neurosurg, how can I maximize what time I have?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theyaintpayingme

Reaction score
I'm a current MS3 who is just beginning rotations. Due to some personal struggles despite the fact i've had interest in Neurosurgery since I began medical school I haven't done much to show that pursuit because I constantly felt I wouldn't make it. I got my step result back and while it isn't exactly a shoe in, it's high enough that I decided I want to go all in and try to make neurosurgery happen. That said I know i'm at a disadvantage without a ton of shadowing, research, etc. How can I maximize my chances with this late decision to aim neurosurgery?

Members don't see this ad.

Plan to take a year off for research, try to get funding and work with a big name attending in a prestigious department. Publications are a must, try to have a mix of clinical and basic science projects. Start thinking about now where you would like to do your SubI in a couple years.

Reactions: 2 users
If your Step 1 score isn't stellar and you don't have research already, I agree that you should find a productive mentor and take a year for research.

More importantly though you should spend some time around the specialty before you go all in. You need to know what you're getting yourself into.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A year off very helpful though not always necessary. your best bet is to touch base with your local neueo surgery department for advice. If you don't have one at your medical school then the closest one to you.