MS3 exposure to RadOnc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kimplera

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions for how to arrange some time early during your 3rd year of medical school on a RadOnc service? I'm at a school that has a residency program so they should have students coming through regularly, but would like to have a better idea of what I'm getting into before signing up for 4th year electives. Are there particular rotations where you might see more RadOnc consults, etc...?
During my Ob/Gyn rotation I was able to spend my one free afternoon with a RadOnc attending but that's it so far this year (Ob and Psych completed).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

here are a couple of ideas....

im not sure that if in your med school you do gyn onc. we did 3 week gynonc rotations where we spent the mornings doing implants and afternoons doing surgeries. if not ask you ob/gyn clerkship director how you can get more exposure to radonc.

in medicine, peds, family and gensurg, there isnt much exposure to radonc. and im blanking at any ways to get that exposure.

do you do elevtives in your 3rd year? if not, may persuade your dean of students to substitute a peds outpt, IM outpt or family med month for radonc and schedule that peds/im/family month early in your 4th year.;.....

I did surg/onc for my Surgery core in third year. I also did Gyn/Onc. Both have some exposure. Also try to do some ENT.

try med onc and, as suggested, gyne onc. Its a limited view but you will potentially see some gynocological rad onc procedures.