MS3 interested in NYU psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DUMDUM84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm a third year osteopathic med student and have decided to apply for psychiatry residencies in the fall. From what I've found from my research, I really like the psych program at NYU. I know the program's very competitive and there's no current/past DO residents from what I've found. I'm contemplating spending an elective month early on in my fourth year at NYU, but am wondering if it would be in vain and my time may be better spent at another program that I also like, but would have more of a chance of getting into (since I'm a DO without a USMLE score). I know I should try if I really like the program, which I do, but we only have a few elective months at my school and I feel that I need to put the face time in at programs I'm seriously considering (and hopefully have a shot at). Is NYU psych too much a reach for an osteopath without a USMLE score? Any input or insight is greatly appeciated.

Thanks for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I'm also a DO without a USMLE score and I matched this year in psych. I don't know about NYU specifically, but my suggestion would be to contact the program and feel them out. You could maybe ask if USMLE scores are required and by their answer to that question, you could probably gauge how DO-friendly they are. I definitely suggest finding out if you have a chance or not by talking to them, otherwise you may learn a lot, but it won't help you get a residency. I ended up with the same issue as you, and I discovered one of the places I was going to rotate was not very DO-friendly and a little bit of a reach for me. I decided not to rotate there and did a couple of other auditions, one of which I matched at :) If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me- looks like you're in the same situation I was in.

The best info we could give you is they took a DO a few years back but that they also scrambled that same year. In general, it is going to be an uphill battle unless you're looking at PM&R at NYU. Is it impossible? No...Are the odds in your favor? I'm going to say no and that it will be very tough to match at Sinai, Columbia, Cornell, or NYU. This is known from years and years of admissions cycles. Regardless, focus on taking the USMLEs and doing above average on them, getting letters from people that count, doing an audition rotation and making it known to the program but also possibly publishing something or getting involved in research-- if you are aiming for competitive psych programs in NYC, those things could help, but still won't be by any means easy due to location and caliber of applicants at those programs (name/type of YOUR school matters a lot to places whose name matters a lot to its applicants). Getting fellowships at these programs will be easier for you as an osteopath once you have successfully completed an allopathic residency, however...Or at least that's been said to be the case at Columbia.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I'm a third year osteopathic med student and have decided to apply for psychiatry residencies in the fall. From what I've found from my research, I really like the psych program at NYU. I know the program's very competitive and there's no current/past DO residents from what I've found. I'm contemplating spending an elective month early on in my fourth year at NYU, but am wondering if it would be in vain and my time may be better spent at another program that I also like, but would have more of a chance of getting into (since I'm a DO without a USMLE score). I know I should try if I really like the program, which I do, but we only have a few elective months at my school and I feel that I need to put the face time in at programs I'm seriously considering (and hopefully have a shot at). Is NYU psych too much a reach for an osteopath without a USMLE score? Any input or insight is greatly appeciated.

Thanks for the input.

NYU is pretty competitive-- my interview day consisted of entirely MD students from top-tier institutions with crazy CV's. I would guess that to have a shot you would need to do an away rotation and impress the pants off of them, particularly without USMLE scores.