MS3 with no publications, want to do surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

panicattackmode

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I know for sure I want to do some sort of surgical specialty. Still working on what that might be...I know a couple of old timer CT surgeons who have connections but are retired. I'm not sure if I want to do CT though...

basically, my question is, I have a 241 Step1, and say I do well on my 3rd year clerkships..am I competitive for a surgical sub-specialty residency? I have some research experience (neuroimaging research in college, 6 week research project summer between MS1 and MS2) but I do not have publications..

Members don't see this ad.

Your application will be competitive for general surgery even without research. You will get some looks in the sub-specialties and have a reasonable chance of matching if you apply/interview broadly and the rest of your application is strong.

I'd worry more about getting good letters of recommendation from well connected people than research. I had similar step 1 score, and no research. I didn't apply to research heavy programs, and no one batted an eye. Got my first pick and felt like I had reasonable chances at the places lower on my list.

I would still suggest trying to get involved with research during 3rd year. Surgical subspecialities like research from their applicants. And if you want to go to a university program (which are more competitive) research helps your app since your step 1, though really good, is average for the fields you are looking at. So pick a field as soon as you can and get some research in that field (even if you don't get a publication, though preferable if you can).