Quantcast

MS3 with no publications, want to do surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

panicattackmode

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Okay, I know for sure I want to do some sort of surgical specialty. Still working on what that might be...I know a couple of old timer CT surgeons who have connections but are retired. I'm not sure if I want to do CT though...

basically, my question is, I have a 241 Step1, and say I do well on my 3rd year clerkships..am I competitive for a surgical sub-specialty residency? I have some research experience (neuroimaging research in college, 6 week research project summer between MS1 and MS2) but I do not have publications..

mimelim

Vascular Surgery
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Your application will be competitive for general surgery even without research. You will get some looks in the sub-specialties and have a reasonable chance of matching if you apply/interview broadly and the rest of your application is strong.

jubb

Tern
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd worry more about getting good letters of recommendation from well connected people than research. I had similar step 1 score, and no research. I didn't apply to research heavy programs, and no one batted an eye. Got my first pick and felt like I had reasonable chances at the places lower on my list.

duckie99

Reaction score
I would still suggest trying to get involved with research during 3rd year. Surgical subspecialities like research from their applicants. And if you want to go to a university program (which are more competitive) research helps your app since your step 1, though really good, is average for the fields you are looking at. So pick a field as soon as you can and get some research in that field (even if you don't get a publication, though preferable if you can).