MS4: Ortho to EM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alvarez13

PGEEE2 mediates FEEEVER
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did a search and didn't find the info I wanted...

Before med school, I always thought I'd do surgery. I was an engineer major and did a lot of stuff with movement and joints, shadowed ortho, did ortho research, and had planned on doing ortho residency. I got to do a brief EM rotation during MS3, did trauma call as MS3, and am finally getting to do EM as an MS4. I love it. The variety of problems, ages, demographics. I love how the entire place lights up when a trauma comes in and guy's wife is freaking out screaming. Throw in the more than enough salary for my needs, no boring 4 hr rounds, quick and concise notes, no call, getting to work nights (I love being awake at night), having 3 or possibly more days off a week as an attd and I think this may be perfect for me.

Don't get me wrong, ortho is interesting and I enjoy it. It's just been a lot of work with a lot more to come and I'm not as passionate as I used to be about it. It feels like just a job, but way worse hrs. EM has been fun and the people are more my style. It also gives me more of an outside life which is huge for me and my wife who I feel like I'm neglecting during surgery rotations.

Here's my problem. My ERAS looks like I'm applying to ortho. Did an ortho rotation at home and have 2 externships I've already accepted for ortho. At this point, I don't think I can change my schedule much before submitting my app mid Sept (want it in early). I'm doing EM now which is great. I get along great with my team and can get SLORs from my home program no problem. I'm a 250er on Step 1, some research, As and few B+s for MS3, and a bunch of other BS to make me competitive for ortho.

Sry for long post. Big question: Will my ERAS look like I'm applying to EM as a backup for Ortho?

Members don't see this ad.

Can I write something in my personal statement to help clarify to EM PDs that I'm not just using them as a safety?

A genuine, succinct personal statement explaining why you've changed your mind from Ortho to EM will be well-recieved. But keep in mind that if you're applying to Ortho and EM at the same hospital...well, people talk.

Members don't see this ad :)
Talk to your home EM program and get advice. I'd try to scramble into some EM sub-I's. If you're sure you don't wanna do ortho, don't do the ortho rotations. There's no point in doing them. Do EM research, EM Ultrasound, toxicology, anything EM related.

At some point you'll have to commit to one specialty. Are you ready?

I did this exact thing last year. It can be done. You need to get a SLOR (or sloe or whatever new name they have) as soon as possible. I also withdrew all my Ortho apps. Talk to your schools dean and whoever the student liaison for em is within your schools residency and formulate a plan. PM me if you have questions, but be warned I check this like once every 3-5 days.